Dawes Mojave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SueWC

I'm buying a new bike for a short commute and general use on local cycle paths.I need a 21 inch frame with a low cross bar.

My local bike shop had suggested a Dawes Mojave. The reviews are good-ish. Is it a good choice or have a missed a better bike? My maximum is around £400.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm buying a new bike for a short commute and general use on local cycle paths.I need a 21 inch frame with a low cross bar.

My local bike shop had suggested a Dawes Mojave. The reviews are good-ish. Is it a good choice or have a missed a better bike? My maximum is around £400.
Go give the Mojave a and see if it works for you, but it should be a fine choice for your needs. 21" is pretty large for a ladies bike?

OP
OP
S

SueWC

I know it's big but I'm 5ft 10.

So Dawes is ok? My husband wasn't sure (not that he knows much about bikes, he just doesn't like the shop that recommended it).

vickster

Legendary Member
I know it's big but I'm 5ft 10.

So Dawes is ok? My husband wasn't sure (not that he knows much about bikes, he just doesn't like the shop that recommended it).
Dawes are ok, it'll be fairly entry level in terms of components, and probably quite heavy given the style of bike.
Even if you're 5'10, 21" still sounds big (I'm a similar height), but obviously if it feels right for you, all good

It is important to like the shop, especially if you're likely to use them for servicing and what not

I guess the best thing is to take a look at other options locally. Evans and Cycle Surgery have extensive ranges covering most brands for example

If it were me, I'd go for something like this, lifetime frame warranty etc https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/giant_liv_alight_3_womens_sports_hybrid_bike_2019-ID_75889?sv_source=google&sv_medium=cpc&sv_campaign=[campaign_name]&sv_term=[keyword]&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI07DEwLOa4AIVmPhRCh2qjQ4eEAQYBiABEgIK5PD_BwE

Or better still a higher specced discounted older model https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Liv-Alight-1-Womens-2018-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_113795.htm

Edit...gah you've now got me thinking about a new bike! :laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SueWC

Thank you for helping.

The better bike shop in our town stocks Liv. They do seem better than Dawes. Plus I can try them out which I don't think I could with the Dawes.

tom73

Guru
:welcome:
Try it and see if it feel's right (you will just know) and it will do what you want it to do. Go for it and enjoy

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You generally see quite a few of the Dawes Mojave listed secondhand on eBay. The going rate for a tidy one seems to be around the £100 mark or so. A lot of secondhand bikes in reality have not had that much use and can make excellent bargains, plus the financial loss in the event of a theft is much less with a used bike - which might be a significant consideration on a commuter.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
You generally see quite a few of the Dawes Mojave listed secondhand on eBay. The going rate for a tidy one seems to be around the £100 mark or so. A lot of secondhand bikes in reality have not had that much use and can make excellent bargains, plus the financial loss in the event of a theft is much less with a used bike - which might be a significant consideration on a commuter.

i keep looking at this one

View: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2064266240326934

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

That's dirt cheap and would make an ideal commuter or pub bike, even if it needs a few quid spent sorting it out. It would probably fit the OP as well by the look of it.
I've never seen the point of buying new, when there's so much on the secondhand market. OK that one has a bit of rust and marks on it, but that won't stop it getting you to work on and if it's not too pretty it's got less chance of going missing.

Top Bottom