Dawes (not vintage) but nice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
I was given this Dawes recently, its a bit small for me but I made it fit , i think its late ninetys, it seems virtually unriden, when I

stripped the wheel bearings the grease was dryed up but still clear no marks on the bearing surfaces at all, paint work as new all original components and its a pleasing thing to ride too, quite enjoyable to have somthing someone else thought of as rubbish thats like new, i know its isn't vintage yet but it will be

eventually ^_^

Attachments

• IMG_20200326_133345.jpg
    IMG_20200326_133345.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 11

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Very 'Corbyn' :whistle:

Nice looking bike. As for dating it, a good reference point are the brakes. V-brakes came out in '96 I believe, so any bike with these must be at or after that year. Yours are cantilever style, so it may be before '96, or maybe Dawes continued using cantis for some after this date. I guess another indicator would be the group-set, but I don't know enough to comment beyond that. Anyways, a great freebie.......:smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Dawes have always made good solid machines that can stand the test of time and for free you can't complain.
I can see it's rather small for you, I don't know what your weight is but that seat post looks it might be past the safe limit so could compromise the integrity of the frame.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Dawes have always made good solid machines that can stand the test of time and for free you can't complain.
I can see it's rather small for you, I don't know what your weight is but that seat post looks it might be past the safe limit so could compromise the integrity of the frame.
I am very tall but only 64kg , after a long search of my colection of seat posts i found that, it's on the limit line but not over it and long term i will look for a steel one at least then I will get some warning as in it would bend rather than break, not sure if Dawes carried on with cantis later than mid nineties i have a Horizon that also has cantis and dates from early 2000s but that could be because it has drop bars, the Dawes i have just been given has a mega range freewheel, not cassette and dual SIS twist grip gear changers, maybe this is older than i thought.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I am very tall but only 64kg , after a long search of my colection of seat posts i found that, it's on the limit line but not over it and long term i will look for a steel one at least then I will get some warning as in it would bend rather than break, not sure if Dawes carried on with cantis later than mid nineties i have a Horizon that also has cantis and dates from early 2000s but that could be because it has drop bars, it has a mega range freewheel, not cassette and dual SIS twist grip gear changers, maybe this is older than i thought.
Cantilevers will work with drop bar brake levers, V-brakes won't, the cable pull is different

Top Bottom