Dawes Touring Frame Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
emulsifier12

emulsifier12

Picked up some mint shimano 2300 8 speed STI's on Ebay this week. Arrived this morning. Got some red bar tape to match the frame. These new brake levers don't have the same sponginess that the other cheap levers had. Also swapped the down-tube cable stops around so that the cable runs parallel with the frame.

I think I am done for now. Might look at some new tyres at the end of the month, Any recommendations for tyres for an 18 stone bloke in the 700 x 25 range? Would 700 x 23's work or would they need to be pumped up too hard to take my weight so that I don't pinch the wall on the rim?

Photo of finished bike below:

battered

Guru
Just looked at this thread. The original photos show components identical to my Dad's Galaxy which he bought in 1980/81. As you'll know this model ran for ever with various specs, how long each spec lasted is anyone's guess.

That's a lovely bike and a great resto, well done. I much prefer bikes that have been turned into machines for riding, according to the rider's taste, to the meticulous nut-and-bolt-perfect restorations to original spec. It's not a museum piece, not the original Tommy Simpson Mont Ventoux bike, it's just an ordinary Dawes touring bike, so make it the way it suits you and ride it.

OP
OP
emulsifier12

emulsifier12

Thanks Battered, I built this bike to ride. I have fitted modern spec parts and I am loving it. This is turning out to be a better bike that I originally anticipated.

Just got back from another ride. I am up to 15.2 m/h average now. I really enjoyed the simplicity of using the STI gears this morning. Much easier that the stem shifters as I can keep my hands on the hoods and I can select each gear with precision. The brakes are also mush more responsive with the STIs than the old red levers.

loving it!!!!

OP
OP
emulsifier12

emulsifier12

Update :

After riding for a month or two using v's with drop bar sti levers I decided to try out some canti's.

WOW WOW WOW, what a difference, no more spongy brakes, very responsive, sharp crisp braking. I should have gone for canti's from the start. live and learn I suppose.

I found setting them up a pain in the neck though as lining the break shoes up with the rim a bit awkward, I think I saw some V-type mountings available for canti brakes which allow you to use v brake pads with canti brakes. I will keep an eye out for those for when I want to change the brake pads over.

I have covered just over 300miles with the bike now and I am loving it, it will be even better with the new brakes.

rh100

Strange how you got spongy brakes with V's, I changed from canti's to Vee's when I fitted trekking bars and MTB style levers, braking is now excellent.

Isn't there an issue with the mechanical advantage between canti's and vee brake levers? Maybe that was the problem if the levers were canti specific. edit: sorry - just saw this was covered in earlier posts

Top Bottom