Dawes Windrush

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Birdman

Regular
OK here goes to upload some pics of Windrush. Have taken a closer look and it need a gentle clean. Wheels are shot, could do with a set of G
B drop handle bars and some period metal pedals. The rest is pretty much there....
148.JPG
149.JPG
150.JPG
152.JPG
153.JPG
155.JPG
156.JPG

Birdman

Regular
Seems to have the correct parts, like Brooks saddle, Weinmann brakes. I see someone is selling just a frame on Ebay right now. Any clues as to what the bike is worth, now or restored?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That looks lovely, hardly needs any 'restoration' just a full strip and polish should get it to come up a treat apart from the wheel rims which I'd get replaced (probably with aluminium rims) new cables, chain and tyres/tubes. With that small rack it's just crying out for a Carradice 'classic' saddlebag as well.
The saddle should clean up nicely with Proofide (available from Brooks) but I wouldn't use anything else on it.

As for value if it was mine and I had the family connection it would not be for sale at any price.

Birdman

Regular
Thanks for the info / opinion. I agree that it isn't masses of work and would like to put it all straight. If anyone has any more info, I'm keen to hear it. Not sure how quickly I can attend to the bike as have so much on at present. Guess I should spray some WD40 over parts if I cannot get on with the resto this winter. I guess the handle bars are the trickiest thing to swap?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks for the info / opinion. I agree that it isn't masses of work and would like to put it all straight. If anyone has any more info, I'm keen to hear it. Not sure how quickly I can attend to the bike as have so much on at present. Guess I should spray some WD40 over parts if I cannot get on with the resto this winter. I guess the handle bars are the trickiest thing to swap?
They'd be the hardest thing to source for sure but a lot of people toured with that shape of handlebar in the 50s-60s.

Birdman

Regular
So what should I clean it with? I think this bike deserves to be restored correctly. As you say with the carradice saddlebag. Then a pump. Miller generator light set, new rims , period pedals, GB Dawes drop bars etc... So probably going to have to invest approx £100 and tlc in it..

Birdman

Regular
Nothing is what it seems with the Mini. It's much later and dressed as an early cooper, Just trying out the over riders.I put a 2 litre 16v Vauxhall engine into her and nitrous oxide.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nothing is what it seems with the Mini. It's much later and dressed as an early cooper, Just trying out the over riders.I put a 2 litre 16v Vauxhall engine into her and nitrous oxide.
hence the need for the towing hook on the front. :whistle:

Birdman

Regular
I like the bike and the Mini.

I've always fancied a Mini with a Vauxhall or Honda engine installed - my preference would be for the Vauxhall engine, since I believe more modifications are required to the bodywork to fit the Honda engine. {Can't imagine what it would be like with a whiff of nitrous}.

Anyway, back to the bike . . . as mentioned by @raleighnut , the bike does not require restoration - just a bit of fettling. If it were mine, I'd certainly keep it - in my garage, next to your Mini Cooper :whistle:.
Thanks, yes that's what I'm thinking, go totally Retro. I can tell you that both conversions are masses of fun. I designed and built all of mine from scratch so that it keeps a standard length. That way people do not know what just hit them. Will run the car this year and do some dragging in her with the Nos, then I will fit the turbo version of the same engine and get my life insurance upgraded. Makes some very expensive cars look very silly..

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ooooo a Q car. Mate of mine had a moggy minor with a fiat twin cam mirafiore engine fitted but bog standard outside. Used to look for ford xr's and gtis etc to urinate on off the lights.

Mind you he was the same lad who had a garelli tiger cross who hunted fizzies. Showing my age????
Back in 79 I had one of these
c1970-honda-cd90-motorcycle.jpg

Honda CD90, but if you stuck an SS50 tank and exhaust on it Fizzie riders thought it was one, upset quite a few of em cos it'd do a genuine 65 (and a couple of MPH more with a tailwind/downhill)
It was the 'work' bike as the Ducati wasn't all that keen on starting most mornings, it'd fire eventually but by then I'd have been late for work and to be fair It wouldn't have even warmed up in the 5 miles so I'd have to keep the revs down or break rings (again)

Top Bottom