Dawes Windrush

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeymustard

Veteran
Ooooo a Q car. Mate of mine had a moggy minor with a fiat twin cam mirafiore engine fitted but bog standard outside. Used to look for ford xr's and gtis etc to urinate on off the lights.

Mind you he was the same lad who had a garelli tiger cross who hunted fizzies. Showing my age????
Ah the good ol' days, garellis and fizzies!^_^ My mini had a 1400 Avonbar with a stage 3 head, rose-jointed all round, it was like driving a go-kart.
Had a friend who did the same fiat TC conversion on a moggie van; he'd already removed the panels to turn it into a low loader/pick up so it weighed hardly anything! He only drove it once - it scared him so much he sold it the next day!
Feck'n eedjit spent years doing that mog up :eek:
Oh and @Birdman - really nice bike!

robsa

Über Member
Ralieghnut. That is almost the same as the first motorcycle I ever rode. It was my uncles but his had a different front end, more like the leading link forks on plag nineties

robsa

Über Member
Honda 90 sport.jpg

One if these

Birdman

Regular
OK , so Although I really don' t have the time, I have started the resto / clean up of the Windrush. She's alright really. A bit of pitting through the paint in places. I think I could just get away with thorough clean up job, saddle renovator , gen set, saddle bag, some new pedals and wheels. So I measured the wheels and they seem to be 25 - 25.5" dia? does that sound right? Where can I get some new rims / spindles and spokes transferred over? New to this part, so thanks for any advice... Pics when I have finished the clean up..

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
OK , so Although I really don' t have the time, I have started the resto / clean up of the Windrush. She's alright really. A bit of pitting through the paint in places. I think I could just get away with thorough clean up job, saddle renovator , gen set, saddle bag, some new pedals and wheels. So I measured the wheels and they seem to be 25 - 25.5" dia? does that sound right? Where can I get some new rims / spindles and spokes transferred over? New to this part, so thanks for any advice... Pics when I have finished the clean up..
i would guess they are 27" wheels and go for alloy rims

Birdman

Regular
Thanks, yes they are. I just googled how to measure them inclusive of the tyre diameter. Took a rubbing of the tyre which is disintegrating as I did so:

Michelin 32 630 27 x 1 1/4 Sports. Inflate to 70psi??

rhm

The Windrush is beautiful.

The Weinmann brakes, with large block lettering, are from the 50's. The Brooks saddle, with the thick metal badge, is also from the 50's. It's a pretty safe assumption that they are all original to the bike.

Do I see the front wheel has 32 spokes, the rear 40? Finding a pair of rims with those spoke hole numbers is going to be a challenge. For getting the bike riding, it might be a better idea to pick up a used pair of alloy wheels from the 70's or 80's, either 27" or 700c, and set the original wheels aside.

Birdman

Regular
Not sure, I'll have a count up of the spokes when I get a chance. Yes I have no doubt that most of the bike is original. Crank seems to be williams and pedals may be some other brand. If get some 17" wheels from a Dawes Galaxy, will that work?

rhm

Yes, a pair of 27" wheels from a Dawes Galaxy, I believe that would be fine.

Have you looked up the date codes on the Williams crank? That will help you nail down the date of the bike very precisely.

Birdman

Regular
Sorry, no I haven't yet, but thought that the Williams crank might not be an original part. I believe the bike is 1959. Voing to speak with someone who has a set of steel 27" galaxy wheels to see if they would work as a straight swap over.

Top Bottom