Daytime running lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I start my rides at this time of year in the dark. I leave the rear lights on because I can't be bothered to switch them off and they are very frugal on batteries. Front may or may not get switched off. Main concern is ensuring the batteries are ok when it gets dark again.

Use it or lose it

I’d feel naked without my drl’s.
I never ride without em..
As a motorist,a cyclist with daytime lights definitely comes into view earlier than the the ones without. ,who also quite often seem to favour wearing black clothing making them even less visible,.wether that’s some cycling traditional macho thing Im not sure?
i know this topic is a can of worms, with everyone entitled to their opinion..,just saying what I do.😉
I think in time the vast majority of cyclists will use daytime lights,similar to the crash helmet issue..what harm can they do after all.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It is a legal requirement on motorised vehicles in Denmark and It makes a big difference. When I come to the UK
I use the Aldi version of the moon lights front and rear. I don't do any night riding but have an Aldi battery pack light set but never used it yet. View attachment 495779
SWMBO'd won't let me out at night.
The moon, copy, lights are really bright and easily visible.
Do they do a red light for the rear?

swansonj

Guru
I was thinking of DRLs on a motor vehicle.
Me too. Because, on a motor vehicle, DLRs are something different from simply leaving your headlights on during the day, which would be the motoring equivalent of us cyclists leaving our normal front light on during the day. DLRs are a light specifically created for daytime conditions and are too bright to be legal after dark. The cycling equivalent would be turning the power setting of your lights down after dark, though even that is not an exact equivalent because the beam pattern of DLRs is different from headlights - put cynically, headlights still bear lip service to the idea that they are designed to illuminate the road surface ahead of you, DLRs are designed to dazzle oncoming motorists.

Edit in case I wasn't clear enough: DLRs are the work of the devil, or at least, the selfish, short-sighted, entitled, planet-destroying, motoring community.

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
It's a cycling forum. It's blindingly obviously a post about bike lights being on during daylight.
I can't say I've ever been blinded by drl's on a motor vehicle as they're low powered designed to be seen, rather than seeing with. They're to make the vehicle using them more visible to other road users be they peds, cyclists, horse riders, drivers etc in order to reduce the likelyhood of them not being seen and causing an accident.
Not everyone is out to get you.

Smudge

Veteran
It's a cycling forum. It's blindingly obviously a post about bike lights being on during daylight.
I can't say I've ever been blinded by drl's on a motor vehicle as they're low powered designed to be seen, rather than seeing with. They're to make the vehicle using them more visible to other road users be they peds, cyclists, horse riders, drivers etc in order to reduce the likelyhood of them not being seen and causing an accident.

I agree, its an extremely rare occurrence for me to be blinded by oncoming lights of any vehicle. The few times i have been, its usually at night where the oncoming driver hasn't dipped them.
When i was driving for a living and spent far more time on the roads, more of an issue to me was people using rear fog lights when it wasn't foggy. Even worse in wet weather, where the light from these bright red lights will refract and cause a starburst effect.

swansonj

Guru
"in order to reduce the likelyhood of them not being seen and causing an accident."
That is a very revealing way of putting it - revealing of the extent to which we have got safety on roads arse about face.
"Not everyone is out to get you."
No, but any cyclist or pedestrian who thinks that the collective operation of the motoring lobby is not largely detrimental to us is simply deluded.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The problem is that daytime running lights draw attention away from anyone not using them. No daytime running lights, you don't get noticed, the one with DRL behind you does. It also trains Drivers not to look properly, no DRL means no one is there. So they are a distraction reducing safety for the majority.

It's the law of unintended consequences

Top Bottom