Daytime running lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I find my eyes drawn to the light, dominating my visual senses and making it more difficult to spot other hazards which may well be closer to me than the **** with the lights on 200 metres away.
Yes, if they work, they're selfish because you are distracting people from other perfectly legal cyclists. If they don't work, they're selfish because you are creating a false perception that unlit cyclists are behaving negligently, which will eventually enable a new type of SMIDSYBYHNLO (...because you have no lights on).

mjr

I start my rides at this time of year in the dark. I leave the rear lights on because I can't be bothered to switch them off and they are very frugal on batteries. Front may or may not get switched off. Main concern is ensuring the batteries are ok when it gets dark again.
That's another way daytime lights are selfish, using a small amount of electricity and a larger amount of rare metals in batteries that have finite life (even rechargeables). Seems a bit of a waste of resources, although of course there are far worse on the roads, but the next guy being a murderer doesn't make it OK for you to punch children!

hatler

Guru
"Advocacy & Cycling Safety" board. (Which has quite a lot about cars in it.)

"Daytime running lights"

"Does anyone use them?"

No mention of either bike or car there.

I have them as an option on my car (I've turned that option off). I've only ever heard them referred to in a motorised vehicle (car and motorbike) context.

On bikes during normal light i find them damn irritating and worse, particularly on london two way cycling lanes where you are very close to an oncoming rider with a quite often blinding front.
Totally unecessary.
And i am usually well lit for the conditions - a year or two ago was even complimented on it by a walking copper :smile:

mjr

I’d feel naked without my drl’s.
I never ride without em..
What happens when your batteries go flat during an all-day ride?

As a motorist,a cyclist with daytime lights definitely comes into view earlier than the the ones without. ,who also quite often seem to favour wearing black clothing making them even less visible,.wether that’s some cycling traditional macho thing Im not sure?
No, it's that some people look good in black and if your bike has the legal lights and reflctives then what you wear is basically irrelevant.

i know this topic is a can of worms, with everyone entitled to their opinion..,just saying what I do.😉
I think in time the vast majority of cyclists will use daytime lights,similar to the crash helmet issue..what harm can they do after all.
And similar to the plastic foam domes, I hope it never becomes a majority and starts to fall away!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That's another way daytime lights are selfish, using a small amount of electricity and a larger amount of rare metals in batteries that have finite life (even rechargeables). Seems a bit of a waste of resources, although of course there are far worse on the roads, but the next guy being a murderer doesn't make it OK for you to punch children!
:laugh:I think you're getting a little over dramatic there.

hatler

Guru
Cars in relation to cycling safety ? Where should that go ?

Let's not deviate from the thrust of this thread and quibble about which board it should be on.

It's looking like a cycling safety issue to me.

Reactions: mjr

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
"Advocacy & Cycling Safety" board. (Which has quite a lot about cars in it.)

"Daytime running lights"

"Does anyone use them?"

No mention of either bike or car there.

I have them as an option on my car (I've turned that option off). I've only ever heard them referred to in a motorised vehicle (car and motorbike) context.

As already pointed out numerous times, this is first and foremost a cycling forum. It can be assumed that unless stated otherwise, the majority of threads and posts relate to cycling in one way or another. It isn't a difficult concept to understand.

hatler

Guru
As already pointed out numerous times, this is first and foremost a cycling forum. It can be assumed that unless stated otherwise, the majority of threads and posts relate to cycling in one way or another. It isn't a difficult concept to understand.
That specific assertion hasn't been pointed out numerous time (at least not on this thread).
I assume nothing. That can be dangerous.
DRLs on vehicles clearly do relate to cycling, and in particular, cycling safety.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Yes, if they work, they're selfish because you are distracting people from other perfectly legal cyclists. If they don't work, they're selfish because you are creating a false perception that unlit cyclists are behaving negligently, which will eventually enable a new type of SMIDSYBYHNLO (...because you have no lights on).

Unless I'm mistaken, new cars are required by law to have DRL's fitted. Drivers will be conditioned to look for them as time goes on and I honestly can't see that changing. They're already out there being used. As far as I'm concerned, all I'm doing is keeping up with that trend.
There's nothing selfish about wanting to improve one's chances of surviving a ride. There's nothing stopping other cyclists from using their lights in this manner if they wish.

mjr

Unless I'm mistaken, new cars are required by law to have DRL's fitted.
Fitted but so far you can switch most of them off.

They are annoying on cars, often masking indicators at a glance. They might work in less dense road systems with fewer side roads but they suck in England!

There's nothing selfish about wanting to improve one's chances of surviving a ride.
It's improving your chances at the expense of others that makes this selfish... but there's little evidence that they improve your chances so it's only selfish. :sad:

There's nothing stopping other cyclists from using their lights in this manner if they wish.
And so the arms race is fuelled... an arms race that people cycling or walking will never win. Henry Ford wants you for a sunbeam (lightbeam?). :sad:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
It's improving your chances at the expense of others that makes this selfish... but there's little evidence that they improve your chances so it's only selfish. :sad:

Yebbut, there's nothing stopping those other cyclists from using DRL's or other means of possibly improving their visability.
That's like saying I'm selfish for using studded tyres and disc brakes on an icy road because the cyclist behind is using slicks and rod brakes.

Top Bottom