DCR Carbon wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has anyone any experience of these? I have some wheels from DCR, Kinlin rims and Novatec hubs and they are really good and the service from David is first class, I am now looking at getting some semi aero wheels but don't want too much of a weight penalty. DCR have a 38mm carbon rim which is reasonably priced, I am just a bit unsure if I should bite the bullet on carbon, or go for the 30mm aluminium option, or even Zipp 30 course.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

MistaDee

I have no experience of DCR wheels however however I do have vast experience of Zipp wheels and currently own multiple sets, I brought into the marketing about the profile being incredibly aero etc. I have recently purchased some other brand wheels and now realise how bad zipp hubs are along with the overall wheel stiffness.
If I knew earlier what I know now then the only set of Zipps I would own would probably be 202, I will ultimately never buy another set of Zipps again as riding other wheelsets now has opened my eyes.

Bianchi boy

Über Member
Have you looked at "Kinetic 1" wheelsets I have a set of their 40mm alloy rim version, had them for just over 2 years now, and no problems what so ever ,They also do carbon 50 and 60mm , just to add I`ve done about 20,000 klm on these wheels so far

ANT 666

Trying to re member
I've 2 sets of DCR wheels and they are great, give the carbon rims a go as i'm sure David knows what he's doing.

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Have you looked at "Kinetic 1" wheelsets I have a set of their 40mm alloy rim version, had them for just over 2 years now, and no problems what so ever ,They also do carbon 50 and 60mm , just to add I`ve done about 20,000 klm on these wheels so far
Thanks for the heads up on these, never heard of them before, they look good, need to be tubeless ready though so I'll ask them

Why? Hardly no choice of tyres and are a total pig to fit tyres onto a tubeless ready rim. No pro's and lots of cons IMO. I have a set of each BTW.
This is a teeny bit subjective. My subjective experience is of my tubeless rims and tyres being a) easy to fit without resorting to levers, b) inflated first time with a track pump every time I've fitted one, c) lasting about 8,000km per tyre and d) so far having had no deflation issues. i.e. an entirely positive experience with no cons and lots of pros. Doubtless different combinations of rim and tyre will vary in each of the above.

huwsparky

Über Member
Fair enough, but personally I'd avoid tubeless.(purposely did) It's just not going to take off a bit like mini disk never did. Still no choice of tyres available after years.

Each to their own though. You'd be a fool to only consider tubeless ready rims imo.

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Fair enough, but personally I'd avoid tubeless.(purposely did) It's just not going to take off a bit like mini disk never did. Still no choice of tyres available after years.

Each to their own though. You'd be a fool to only consider tubeless ready rims imo.
my experience of kinlin rims and schwalbe tubeless tyres is generally good, I accept there's not much tyre choice, but I have avoided a few roadside swearing sessions thanks to a p$#~*="e. As you say, each to their own, although the kinlins can run tubes and clinchers if needed

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Well finally bought a set of DCR carbon wheels, 38mm profile including rim tape and brake blocks, and after a couple of rides the verdict is "Excellent" will post pics later but they look great and ride great too, they do seem able to allow me to ride faster! Although I've yet to see how they compare with the kinlins on a more hilly route. Sadly as winter draws in the wheels will be waiting for good weather to return and the summer bike to be allowed out.

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
I'm not a great photographer to say the least!
SAM_0848.JPG

Top Bottom