Dear Mr Fakenger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rassendyll

I confess I moved my elbow just a little bit further out than usual to give one of these queue jumpers a nudge last week. A plain commuter unfortunately, not a trackstanding fakenger.

But honestly if you can't start off downhill without wobbling to your left and being overtaken before moving two bike lengths then you really should consider waiting behind the other cyclists.

Trumpettom001

someone is going to have to explain to me what a trackstand is...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Arch said:
I agree with the red light ibt, but could you possibly not use the words 'pottering' and '14mph' together? That's about my speed on a day I'm feeling fit and lithe.:biggrin:

Just for you;

"Dear Mrs. Brompton Lady,

jumping red lights and then speeding along at a BLISTERING 14 mph is REALLY annoying. And putting yourself in the blind spot of buses after doing so is a REALLY bad idea."

:smile:

Incindentally, the thing of people placing themselves ever further ahead (of ASLs, and stop lines) is termed "the sandbar of idiocy";

For example, there's an unwritten rule among New York City bike commuters, and it applies to all riders, regardless of age, fitness, or style of bicycle. This rule is as follows:

If you stop at a red light and there is already another cyclist waiting at it, you must stop your bicycle in front of the rider who is already there.

As far as I know, I am the only cyclist in New York who does not observe this rule, because while I'm quite happy to queue up behind somebody at an intersection, I have never, ever had somebody stop behind me. If you're waiting, someone will pull up ahead of you. If a third person comes, they'll roll ahead and stop in front of the second person. On a busy day, this accumulation results in sort of a shoal of cyclists which juts out into the middle of the street like a sandbar of idiocy.
http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2009/05/indignity-of-commuting-by-bicycle_12.html

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
John the Monkey said:
In a similar vein,

Mrs. Brompton lady - jumping red lights and then pottering along at 14 mph is REALLY annoying. And putting yourself in the blind spot of buses after doing so is a REALLY bad idea.

14mph? You lucky so and so, most of the pottering round my way is about half that speed and I'm the one speeding away at 14mph. Although I did hit 30 on a hill today.... :biggrin:

Woz!

GregCollins said:
How to trackstand

i've never worked out if it is easier on fixed as you can move the bike back and forth with your legs rather than be weight shifting alone.

I've not got a fixie, but it's a similar idea to idling on a unicycle - much easier with fixed wheels (in fact on a uni it would be suicide to have a freewheel!)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Plax said:
Don't be silly, we're far too sensible for all that malarky

Um, is it my eyesight or is the rider in this trackstanding tutorial female... Yes even girls can trackstand... :stop:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Woz! said:
I've not got a fixie, but it's a similar idea to idling on a unicycle - much easier with fixed wheels (in fact on a uni it would be suicide to have a freewheel!)

I do wonder how the fixsters trackstand without handlebars though;

a trend for fixed-gear bicycles is sweeping the East End. Fixed gear bicycle riders —“fixies” — pare down bikes to their very essence, often even removing the handlebars. The chain is fixed, meaning the pedals rotate whenever the wheels are turning, like an exercise bike.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifes...he+new+breed+of+cyclists+in+London/article.do

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
John the Monkey said:

the gentleman in the picture accompanying this article has handlebars that are superfluous to his needs. on a bike with a freewheel I can't even begin to figure out how you could trackstand with your weight that far back. suspension forks add a bit more fun to the mix....

......but then I'm crap at trackstands

scouserinlondon

srw said:
You may think you look ultra-cool with your blingy fixed-wheel bike, your matching rims and tyres, your cycling cap at a rakish angle and your trackstand.

But you were being a bit of a plonker, weren't you? Your trackstand was at the front of a queue of a dozen or so cyclists. And those cyclists were in cycle lane separated by a kerb. And that cycle lane has its own traffic light, with the rare luxury of a cycle that prioritises the cycle lane over the road (which is why all those cyclists were in it). And you, you ninny, were too far forward to see the traffic lights.

Next time, if you're going to jump the red light, at least do the rest of us the courtesy of doing it properly.

My pet peeve, on my commute there's a couple of foppish twats who join the road near Clapham north and pootle along like gossiping teenagers on the way to their cushy coke-fuelled agency jobs.

Two things, get wider handlebars and wear some fu*king socks....

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
John the Monkey said:

Track standing no handed is pretty easy i find.
I do sit at lights, sat on the saddle trackstanding, and can go no handed if i need to stretch or clear my nose or whatever.
Only do it at lights where i know the sequence, so that i know where to stand up to power off.

Trumpettom001

I find track standing (now that i know the actual term for what I do) completely simple, on a MTB with a free wheel, if im pointing up the merest of inclines... i can normally balance on a flat for about a minute, and manage 10secs if I need to on a downhill... one handed, no problem, no handed, never tried, ill try tomorrow, and let you guys know.... (wish me luck!!)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Trumpettom001 said:
I find track standing (now that i know the actual term for what I do) completely simple, on a MTB with a free wheel, if im pointing up the merest of inclines... i can normally balance on a flat for about a minute, and manage 10secs if I need to on a downhill... one handed, no problem, no handed, never tried, ill try tomorrow, and let you guys know.... (wish me luck!!)

Put a foot on the front wheel and use this to pull you back.
I can do this no handed aswell;)

Top Bottom