Dear vehicle drivers of London....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bugner

I believe most of you will find a little stick by your steering wheel. This stick moves up and down and is called an 'indicator' The reason for this well thought out name, is that if you intend to perform an overtake or maybe a left or right turn, moving this stick up or down will make little lights flash on the outside of your vehicle to 'INDICATE' to others your intentions.

Please use this little stick.

Thank You

BSRU

A Human Being
I always got the impression it was an optional extra on some cars.

Ste T.

Guru
Yes they are crap, but then us lot dwelling in our glass houses should hang on to our rocks. On my average journey I am the only cyclist I see who indicates, but then what do I know, I walk around picking up other peoples litter so I'm use to being the odd one out. Trawl through Gaz's videos of London commuting and count how many cyclists indicate.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Trawl through Gaz's videos of London commuting and count how many cyclists indicate.

Rarely any! I find it quite iritating. i often indicate my intentions including slowing down, i give the good old lance armstrong stare if i intened to go for it. I will occasionally indicate pot holes etc.. if i know someone is right behind me. It can make following people quite annoying but you get used to the unpredicaple nature of most cyclists.

Ste T.

Guru
No Jezston, I agree it's not. But then how often are we braking as we change lanes or pass parked cars? If you are reading the road ahead, not very often. The one that I find shocking is no indication then shoulder check before moving out , while wearing an ipod ! It's like they have never ridden in traffic and experienced just how thoughtless and dangerous drivers are.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't often find myself unable to indicate as Jezston describes. It's much more common to see riders not indicating when they easily could, and not looking or negotiating for their space in traffic.

Ste T., please could we leave the ever controversial diePods out of it? Whatever we all might think, they aren't relevant to being able to look around and negotiate with drivers, or to indicating.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
To the OP, don't be silly. London cars are fitted with horns. Not indicators.

Indicators only ever tell you what a driver *MIGHT* do.
Horns are much more useful, giving an insight as to how the driver feels, what they want, like and dislike, an admonishment, warning and punishment.

dondare

Über Member
I indicate at only two junctions on my way home and none on my way in.
But then there are hardly any turns and mostly it's clear which way I'm going from the lane I'm in.

crumpetman

I almost always indicate when driving a car. The only times I do not are when it is clear that there is no one around to see the indication.

When on the bike I rarely indicate as, for me anyway, it is rarely needed. I do lots of shoulder checks and look at drivers too but I just prefer to keep both hands on the handlebars whenever possible.

StuartG

slower but further
Indicators are for wimps. Try the knob with the red triangle on it. It fires all the orange lights, not just half. Oh and it don't half confuse cyclists and bikers. Watch them swerve in complete confusion .... what fun!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
To the OP, don't be silly. London cars are fitted with horns. Not indicators.

Indicators only ever tell you what a driver *MIGHT* do.
Horns are much more useful, giving an insight as to how the driver feels, what they want, like and dislike, an admonishment, warning and punishment.
which leads nicely to a gentle scene between fellow car drivers... ever get the urge to do this when someone is honking at you whilst you're on your bike?... or is it just me? :whistle:

Top Bottom