Death of the Sun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Quest, on Freeview, are trailering a programme on the death of the Sun.
It shows an American city scape suffering black outs and narrates it as the end of life as we know it!

Maybe I am missing something here.;)

The Sun first 'ignited' around 4,500,000,000,000 years ago
Dinosaurs first appeared 230,000,000 years ago.
Dinosaurs died out 65,000,000 years ago.
Humans have only been about for 50,000 years.
The Sun is unlikely to turn into a Red Giant before another 5,500,000,000,000 has passed.

Somehow, I don't think black outs on Wall Street will be an issue any more then 'life as we know it'.
No doubt somebody somewhere will be planning a contingency for survival.

al78

Guru
Night Train said:
It shows an American city scape suffering black outs and narrates it as the end of life as we know it!

The Sun is unlikely to turn into a Red Giant before another 5,500,000,000,000 has passed.

And the earth will become uninhabitable in about 1,000,000,000 years, well before the red giant stage.

ASC1951

Guru
Night Train said:
I think you're a bit out there. Modern humans, i.e. exactly the same as us, expanded out of east Africa about 70,000 years ago and had been around for a while before that. Hominids with many of our characteristics go back another 1,000,000 years.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Mankind has the ability to spread into the stars. If we dont poison the air or damage the resources we could do this within the next 100 years. The budgets for space exploration and other sciences are being cut though, sometimes in favour of climate science.

When Earth becomes uninhabitable we will move to Mars, then on to one of the moons of Jupider and/or Saturn. Even in our solar system there could be great scope for habitation.

We just have to stop p***ing around.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
ASC1951 said:
I think you're a bit out there. Modern humans, i.e. exactly the same as us, expanded out of east Africa about 70,000 years ago and had been around for a while before that. Hominids with many of our characteristics go back another 1,000,000 years.
Yeah, but you get the gist of what I mean. In relative terms humans have been around for so little time and they already have ideas above their station.

There is probably a US budget resource set aside for the eventuality.

Norm

Night Train said:
Yeah, but you get the gist of what I mean. In relative terms humans have been around for so little time and they already have ideas above their station.
Massively above our station.

Everywhere you look, Mother Culture has us believing that we are different from nature, that we are better than "animals".

I believe that we will see a huge shift in the next 50-100 years. Either we will realise the level of arrogance which our culture breeds and we will change our ways, allowing us to continue living on the earth, or we won't change and there will be no place for us here by the end of this century.

blazed

220lb+
ASC1951 said:
Im a hominid.

chap

Veteran
Night Train said:

Somehow, I don't think black outs on Wall Street will be an issue any more then 'life as we know it'.
No doubt somebody somewhere will be planning a contingency for survival.

Fear sells, no matter how ill founded it is. How else do you reckon the newspapers, and advertisers make any money.

Top Bottom