Debranding Shimano kit

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by gaijintendo, 5 Mar 2018.

Tags:
  1. gaijintendo

gaijintendo Über Member

I saw @Kernow_T advertising a set of Ultegra brake calipers. I immediately thought: I deserve good quality safety apparatus...
    ...but I don't want anyone to know.

I had a quick Google, and some of the results have been painful dremelling. Truly gruesome.

Has anyone managed to buff off the logos elegantly?

Or should I be looking for a well reviewed lesser-known brand, and investing in top pads?

ADarkDraconis and Kernow_T like this.
  2. Kernow_T

Kernow_T Senior Member

Just buy them and sort the disguise later!

See loads of successful debadging and often think how stealth and sweet bikes that have been debadged look but its never something I've considered - mainly because I'm not cool enough, fast enough and I'd probably make a mess of it

ADarkDraconis and gaijintendo like this.
  3. simon.r

simon.r Person

gaijintendo likes this.
  4. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUdmSgPGpCbo8DXiP_Q9qN_EtVSaYJfnrpeMrNH3HBb6AQhiRuew.jpg

I've got some without any branding on, good job really as the rest of the groupset/headset bearing /seatpost is Campagnolo.

davidphilips and gaijintendo like this.
  5. davidphilips

davidphilips Über Member

At a guess Shimano rsx caliper?

6. woodenspoons

woodenspoons Über Member

Isn't life too short for buffing off a logo? Each to their own of course. Strip the whole caliper apart and polish, polish, polish with all the grits 'til you get to Autosol territory. Mmm. Shiny. They'll look lovely and stealth for about a week, and then you'll think "My stealth calipers look a bit dull." Reach for the polish. Rinse. Repeat.
    For my sins, I have a steed with Mafac Raid anchors, which I polish once a year, whether they need it or not.

gaijintendo, Drago and simon.r like this.
  7. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Could well be, I have no idea but they're very similar to the 105 ones fitted to another of my bikes, I'd take a picture but that bikes in the external reinforced concrete shed and the door swells in wet/cold weather making it virtually impossible to open and certainly impossible to close again once opened. I keep meaning to 'sort' it but for now I just keep the 'summer use only' bikes in there and let it remain sealed (and with very good locks) for the winter.

DSCN0057.JPG

You can just about see the front in this piccy

davidphilips likes this.
  8. Drago

Drago Guru

I had some nice alloy handlebars, but wasn't enamoured at the idea of cycling around with Trans X logo on show. A quick wipe with paint stripper and off it came, nae worries.

ADarkDraconis and raleighnut like this.
  9. pawl

pawl Veteran

Why bother.Re spray your frame try and remove all advertising from tops shorts etc removing brand namers from tyres could pose a problem

When all that’s done start on the car house hold goods
    One item I will not buy are trade tops,I refuse to ride looking like an advertisement

ADarkDraconis and buzzy-beans like this.
  10. Dan B

Dan B Disengaged member

I coloured in the "shimano" logo on the SPD pedals of my otherwise-Campag bike with a Sharpie once, it lasted a few months. Then I got some Look pedals and move the SPDs onto a bike I actually use

raleighnut likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    gaijintendo

gaijintendo Über Member

For me, it's really just about keeping the bike next to mine a better target for thieves.

I'm not really concerned about brands. The only "logo" thing I have is a 7-eleven cotton cap. 7-eleven was basically my local sweet shop living abroad in my early twenties, so I have an affinity for it.

12. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

upload_2018-3-6_10-51-10.jpeg I may not be entirely serious

raleighnut likes this.
  13. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

Must be pretty easy to remove as the Ultegra has started to come of my brake calipers,not like I ever scrub em !

14. OP
    OP
    gaijintendo

gaijintendo Über Member

That's probably what happened here:
    brake_figure.jpg

15. OP
    OP
    gaijintendo

gaijintendo Über Member

Maybe if you gave it a Buddha style rub for good luck, after every ride, eventually it will be debranded :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice