Debris in brake blocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Does anyone make a point of inspecting and cleaning their brake blocks....

I've become aware that when i use the brakes, i get an awful 'scratching' noise from them...
I guess this is the trouble with winter riding, you pick up all sorts of debris, grit and glass on the rims and in the blocks.

I just removed the blocks, and you can see all sorts of grit in the rubber...which of course is going to scrape the rims...which is what is making the scratching noise.

Removed it all with the pointy bit of a stanley blade, cleaned up and refitted.

Is it something anyone does on a regular basis ? I'd be interested to know...i must have been slowly (or maybe quickly) wearing away the braking surface of the rims :biggrin:

PrettyboyTim

I noticed that on my rear brakes recently. Little flakes on metal embedded in them.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
The Shimano Ultegra blocks on the back get alot of crap in the bits. I use the small alan key i have to get that out. I normally do it on a ride aswell pretty much as soon as i notice it.
The front one has Aztecs and dont have a problem with them getting rubbish in them, i give them a wipe to clean them off every now and then though.

I use koolstops and they get a thorough clean up on Friday night, along with the rest of the bike.
Close up inspection of the other rubber too ie the tyres. Usually a harvest of flinty bits, glass, metal and once a bit of thorn (or a bit of hedgehog?)

Blue

Legendary Member
I keep some kitchen roll in the garage for bike use. When I've been in the rain and am not going to wash the bike I use a bit of the roll to wipe the rims and brake-blocks - only takes a couple of seconds and seems to prevent the grit drying on and causing a problem at the start of the next days ride.

Top Bottom