Decathlon bikes-thoughts anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A guy was telling me recently that he got his MTB from there and he found it to be good value.

He explained that they sell their own brand of cycles that come over from France.

I got the road bike I wanted from somewhere else. I'm still undecided where to go for another bike-regardless of whether I get another roadie or a MTB.

Thoughts on Decathlon deals would be appreciated. I know they reduce them before the new range come in

Drago

Legendary Member
New owned one, but im a regular customer in Decathlon buying running gear and I've eyed up the bikes closely - proper looking gear, well finished, no nonsense, no mega flash, but no BSO's either. I'd certainly consider one.

1C16D5D1-086B-4931-A2F4-EACFAFB1916B.jpeg

Ultra 720 AF ( 6000 miles so far) Full Ultegra 6800 groupset, Fizik Arione Saddle( which I’ve moved to the 560 CF) , Mavic Cosmic Elite S rims, for £1050.

C259A168-BC2B-42FF-9A1D-DA03CAD0DA01.jpeg

Triban 520, (10000 miles so far )cost about £320, awesome VFM.

A65BF944-9351-4D24-9B06-81ABE4955F56.jpeg

Triban 560 CF ( 4000 miles so far ) full Carbon, Tiagra 10 speed GS, 800 quid, a fantastic bike.

As you can see, I quite like them. When you work out which bits have been compromised on, to meet budget constraints ( usually nothing particularly important has), and upgrade those bits, B’Twins really are fantastic VFM / bang for your buck. They have their detractors, but those with actual experience of them, tend not to have a bad word to say about them, that’s for a good reason, they will outperform an equivalent specced ‘big brand’ bike, which costs 3 times as much.

View attachment 394553

Ultra 720 AF ( 6000 miles so far) Full Ultegra 6800 groupset, Fizik Arione Saddle( which I’ve moved to the 560 CF) , Mavic Cosmic Elite S rims, for £1050.

View attachment 394556

Triban 520, (10000 miles so far )cost about £320, awesome VFM.

View attachment 394557

Triban 560 CF ( 4000 miles so far ) full Carbon, Tiagra 10 speed GS, 800 quid, a fantastic bike.

As you can see, I quite like them. When you work out which bits have been compromised on, to meet budget constraints ( usually nothing particularly important has), and upgrade those bits, B’Twins really are fantastic VFM / bang for your buck. They have their detractors, but those with actual experience of them, tend not to have a bad word to say about them, that’s for a good reason, they will outperform an equivalent specced ‘big brand’ bike, which costs 3 times as much.

I like the look of your Triban CF 560. What size did you get, and how tall are you?

MarkF

Guru
Can't speak highly enough of them, I've only owned a Triban 3 but have hired loads of them in Spain. I don't bother taking my own bike for short tours nowadays, I just hire a Decathlon whatever, less hassle and cheaper too. The worst I've had was a shagged out B'Twin City a couple of weeks ago in Alicante, it still gave me 100's of enjoyable miles with no issues.

Ok Racing roadkill thanks. The reason I asked is that the seat post looks like it is extended a quite a bit. Is the med size frame a tad too small for you, hence raising the seat post by that amount?

Ok Racing roadkill thanks. The reason I asked is that the seat post looks like it is extended a quite a bit. Is the med size frame a tad too small for you, hence raising the seat post by that amount?
The other bikes are a size L, the seat posts are raised on those as well. It’s to do with the way I have to ride, and the unusual ‘fit parameters’ due to old ankle injuries, so the size M 560 is spot on regarding frame size. The different design of the 720 frame ( compact with a sloping top tube) means I had to go for a size L on that bike.

I understand that now, thank you for explaining.

I had a look last week at what they have in stock at the Sheffield store.

They have some good racing cycles with high end components and aluminium and/or carbon frames. Real good value for money. They were well under the £1000 that I am happy to pay. As you say , the Triban 560 CF further reduced.

The thing is ideally I want another flat bar cycle, that has got high spec components like the above.

They had some flat bar cycles in stock, but they were the cheaper end around £300 mark.

I like my current flatbar aluminium ROSE multiroad SL2000 with the 11 speed shimano 105 5800 components and carbon fork. If I could buy a similar model Decathlon brand I would have no hesitation. They just don't do any at the moment.

I am open to suggestions as I am serious about another bike.

I really want to see it in person as opposed to ordering something online again. I want to sit on it, try it for size and get the feel of it. The Decathlon store is quite easy for me to get to.

I understand that now, thank you for explaining.

I had a look last week at what they have in stock at the Sheffield store.

They have some good racing cycles with high end components and aluminium and/or carbon frames. Real good value for money. They were well under the £1000 that I am happy to pay. As you say , the Triban 560 CF further reduced.

The thing is ideally I want another flat bar cycle, that has got high spec components like the above.

They had some flat bar cycles in stock, but they were the cheaper end around £300 mark.

I like my current flatbar aluminium ROSE multiroad SL2000 with the 11 speed shimano 105 5800 components and carbon fork. If I could buy a similar model Decathlon brand I would have no hesitation. They just don't do any at the moment.

I am open to suggestions as I am serious about another bike.

I really want to see it in person as opposed to ordering something online again. I want to sit on it, try it for size and get the feel of it. The Decathlon store is quite easy for me to get to.

They do a Triban 520, with flat bars.

nickAKA

Über Member
Can't speak highly enough of the Triban 560 CF, dunno if it's still got the £100 off but it's excellent value at that £700 price point. The only thing you should definitely change on it (IMO) is the saddle but apart from that it's great as sold. As Racing Roadkill says the medium frame is fine at 5'10", I put a longer (better) stem on mine as I wanted to be less upright when on the hoods and I find it very comfortable.

Top Bottom