Decathlon Razorback - Gears Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pbar

Just got back into cycling after years and years and loving it! I have a newly acquired bike which is originally from Decathlon, a Razorback mountain bike (I think) which is a few years old and in very good condition, thrilled to have it. Just a couple of questions on gears, when changing gears, is it best to stop peddling or just ease up a little, or does it not matter too much. When I had a bike years ago, peddling backwards made for a smoother gear change, I assume I don't need to do that now! Also, I'm a little confused as to what the control is on the left side of the handle bar, so I haven't used it really, in case I wreck something. On the right, are the gears, it's a twist action, Revoshift which goes from 1 to 6. But what is the left twist control for? It's very similar to the one on the right, but has no numbers, just a series of dashes ranging from L to H. Is this gears also? Sorry to sound ignorant, but if I don't ask I'll never know! Brilliant site this by the way. Thanx.

Tynan

Veteran
the left shift does the front chain wheels (usually), give it a try

and going forwards while changing does the rear, best not to be hammering along though, if you're slowing to stop, do it before you stop, a lazy turn of the pedals or two does it

and avoid changing gear while stationary

OP
OP
P

pbar

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it.
I'll try tonight when I get in.
Silly question (but not to me), how do I know how many gears the bike has? As I said, the twist on the right handlebar has 1 to 6, but is the twist on the left handlebar in addition to that?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
multiply the number on the right (the rear cassette/freewheel) by the number on the left (the chain rings). if you are not sure, see how many chain rings are next to the pedal crank on the right hand side. there will be two or three, but don't confuse them with the chainguard, if one is fitted.

you'll either have 12 or 18 gear ratios, some of which work out the same.

OP
OP
P

pbar

Brilliant, thanks very much for your response. I have 18 gears.
What an excellent site this is :thumbsup:

Top Bottom