Decent bike bag recommendation to stop moisture build up in shed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys,

I'm currently having to store my regular hack in a brick built shed that's absolutely prone to moisture build up. Sadly the bike (it's cheapo anyway) has rusted a bit because of this.

I thought about storing the bike in a bag but given the frequency I use it, I thought it wouldn't really be practical. However do you know of any bags that would be more suited to this? Say that aren't too tight a fit or likely to get torn to shreds with regular use? It's an 18" frame mountain bike.

Only I'm thinking about buying a more expensive one to replace it today and want to avoid this happening again. I still think it might be a bit impractical but hey ho.

Maybe get some sica gel to help with the moisture?

alicat

Legendary Member
I wouldn't store the bike in a bag. It just gives the moisture a more concentrate place to act in. I've seen condensation traps in use. They can be emptied regularly even so often and that won't be a pain to do if you are are using the bike regularly. Getting some airflow in the shed will help too.

Personally I wouldn't subject another bike to the same treatment until you've fixed the problem.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I wouldn't store the bike in a bag. It just gives the moisture a more concentrate place to act in. I've seen condensation traps in use. They can be emptied regularly even so often and that won't be a pain to do if you are are using the bike regularly. Getting some airflow in the shed will help too.

Personally I wouldn't subject another bike to the same treatment until you've fixed the problem.

agree with this, the air in the bag will still be same damp air, the bag will only exacerbate the problem. either store the bike elsewhere or do a full tanking of the brick shed, it either has no, or a failed damp course.

a cheaper alternative is to store several kilo's of cat litter or rice in the shed to "suck" the moisture out of the air and change it regularly:laugh:

Gwylan

Veteran
Wonder where you are that has been damp recently

Have you got electricity? If yes get a dehumidifier.
If not, get a solar panel, cheap 12v battery and a dehumidifier.
Won't need to be huge, if you can introduce a bit of weather proofing to the shed.

Vent the shed.
Treat the frame with wax or something, inside and out.
Ensure BB shell can drain.
Ensure chainstsys can drain. You may have to tip the bike up.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Wonder where you are that has been damp recently

on jowwy's lawn:laugh:

Top Bottom