Decent Cable Cutters (for a good price)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
Now, I know this question has been asked a thousand times (yes, I've used the search function) but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm not a fan of Park stuff. I had some screwdrivers which were like cheese and a chain tool that broke after the 3rd use. I think Park is overpriced c**p. I recently bought some Jagwire Road Pro kits and the outers are much tougher than my usual stuff (Shimano/Clarks etc) so don't want to mess the outers up with the cutters I have, which was a quick buy from Tesco's at £3.99 and used to cut through anything before they became blunt.

Basically, I'm looking for some cutters that will do inner cables, as well as shift and brake housing for a not too expensive price...or is it better to buy 2 tools/cutters for inners and outers respectively?

TIA

Profpointy

Legendary Member
i'd be inclined to get a proper "piano wire" cutter from a proper tool company. Lindstrom are pretty much the Rolls Royce of all things pliers related.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
i'd be inclined to get a proper "piano wire" cutter from a proper tool company. Lindstrom are pretty much the Rolls Royce of all things pliers related.

I used to have some Lindstrom pliers/cutters. Someone took a liking to them and they were gone :sad:

woohoo

Veteran
I use Pedros cable cutters (from CRC, I think) and they've been fine for outers and inners. They give a good clean cut and I've been able to rethread a rear der cable from changer to der without any problems .

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
I've just spent out on some tools and bits and bobs for DIY from Screwfix, so decided to get some cable cutters, some diagonal cutters and combination pliers. Even if the cutters last a year, it's not gonna break the bank. I try not to use bike specific tools (sometimes you do have to), so just gone for tools that can be replaced cheaply.

Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
If they are not that great buy these Draper ones they are superb for £11.73 delivered. I agree about getting ripped off for cycling specific gear. These are much cheaper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-Expert-57768-Wire-Cutters/dp/B0001K9WXA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_diy_1

Last edited:
OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
The Screwfix cable cutters are junk. Tried to cut some brake housing with them and it's chewed up the cutting edge. Some of the reviews said that users had cut housing and cable with them...they must have really thin, cheap housing/cable.

Thanks for the link @Cletus Van Damme, I'd seen the Draper cutters before and was tempted to buy them, but didn't. Should have gone with my first instinct :smile:

U

User6179

Ive always just used pliers but what I do is sit the pliers on the wall outside with the cable in the mouth of the pliers where I want to cut it and I give them a tap with a hammer , works for me.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
The Screwfix cable cutters are junk. Tried to cut some brake housing with them and it's chewed up the cutting edge. Some of the reviews said that users had cut housing and cable with them...they must have really thin, cheap housing/cable.

Thanks for the link @Cletus Van Damme, I'd seen the Draper cutters before and was tempted to buy them, but didn't. Should have gone with my first instinct :smile:

A good tip I read on here was to put an old inner cable inside the outer cable to be cut, this stops the outer from collapsing quite as much. When I do this with the Draper cutters the cables are cut perfectly, I use a dart to flare the end a little that I have just cut if required, it is hardly needed if an old inner cable is used..

alicat

Legendary Member
In most cases there are decent alternatives to Park tools; however, I've never regretted buying my Park cable cutters. Frayed cables are very annoying imho.

Venod

Eh up
Ive always just used pliers but what I do is sit the pliers on the wall outside with the cable in the mouth of the pliers where I want to cut it and I give them a tap with a hammer , works for me.

My method too but I use the garage floor not the wall :smile:

To cut the inner put in the gap at the back of the pliers (not all pliers have a gap) & squeeze, gives a nice clean cut.

I really must buy some cable cutters.

Top Bottom