Decent Cable Cutters (for a good price)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jules_OldSchool

I've used Tin Snips for the past 20 years+ but was given a pair of cutters which I was reliably informed were really good.....
.... I still prefer my Snips though, which cope fine with gear and brake cables.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've got a lifeline one from wiggle, and it does the job fine…

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
I bought one of these last week

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-cable-cutter-pro/rp-prod10187

Perfect clean cut, better than with any pliers I've used in the past.

Those are the same as the Draper ones, just with different branding.

2uptoc3.jpg

BigTam

Über Member
I am a BT engineer and the side cutters we use for cutting drop wire, do the bike cables and outers just fine, if I am cutting the outers, I put a piece old wire in just to stop them being crushed.

zigzag

Veteran
i stopped using cable cutters and now use dremel tool to cut cables - it takes a bit longer, but the cut is clean and square. you can't get this result with cable cutters, no matter how good they are!

IMG_0050.jpg

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
What's wrong with the jagwires Paul?
They felt "sticky" when being indexed when fitted top the bike. I could only get consistent changes in one direction. I changed it for shimano sp41 outers with the stainless steel Teflon inners (apparently Dura-ace spec) and after an initial tweek after setting up they have been spot on.

The jagwires did look cool though!

VamP

Banned
They felt "sticky" when being indexed when fitted top the bike. I could only get consistent changes in one direction. I changed it for shimano sp41 outers with the stainless steel Teflon inners (apparently Dura-ace spec) and after an initial tweek after setting up they have been spot on.

The jagwires did look cool though!

I have not had that experience with them in about 6 sets now and counting...

Top Bottom