Degreaser?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
I want to give my drivetrain a good clean but was astounded at the prices of the proprietary brands of degreasers. Is there a cheaper alternative?

GUNK very cheap, capable and available everywhere car related.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I found the same when looking for something appropriate, Screwfix have good citrus based degreaser for about £7 for 2l undiluted. Really good stuff IMO.

e-rider

crappy member
some degreasers, esp. white spirit etc. are not safe on rubber and plastic and can/will damage certain paint finishes so watch out! Spill some on your tyres and the next time you go riding they go POP!

The only cycle specific degreaser that claims to be safe and actually is (IME) on all finishes is Park tool citrus chain brite.

I can certainly say that Muc-off (claimed to be safe on everything) damaged the paint finish on one of my handlebar stems. Finish line citrus degeaser says in the small print on the tin that it might damage some plastic/rubber.

aoj

I use NO NONSENSE oil and grease remover.

You get it from Screwfix and B&Q for about £5.00 for 5 litres.

It can be diluted, however I use it undiluted all over my bicycles and motorbike and rinse off with cold water with no problems of rusting or causing tyres to become slippy.

Unlike Gunk which is lethal if it gets on the tyres ( it does something to the rubber ) especially on the motorbike.

robgul

Legendary Member
Poundland has (or they did this morning) 1 ltr trigger bottles of pink bike cleaner that looks like Muc Off - worth a try

Rob

Cubist

Still wavin'
Thanks all. A good selection to sift through.

ASC1951: how do you clean your chain?
Search these forums for the fabled "Mickle method".

Basically you spray your chain with GT85, then wipe, wipe, wipe with a rag. Spray again and wipe again, until it looks cleaner. Then apply new lubricant of choice, applied to every roller, then wiped again with a clean rag. Contiue this loving, if slightly laborious process until the chain looks how you want it to. It does NOT need to be dripping with oily lube. It should have a protectice sheen over the plates, nothing more.

I will only ever deep clean a chain if it has a significant build up of gritty greasy oil on it. I prefer to run mine on dry teflon lube (finish line) both on the MTB and the Boardman. That has the advantage of not being a filth magnet. On one MTB challenge a guy on a Cotic made a point of asking me how I kept my chain and cassette in impossibly clean condition. In the shite and slop of that event the chain gleamed.

I have never deep cleaned the Boardman chain. I have however kept it scrupulously clean by the above method. After 1000 or more miles the chain is still within wear limits.

I use wet lube on the MTB in the depths of winter, but clean the chain even more often as that does attract the grinding paste.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Search 'Mickle method' for degreaser free chain cleaning....
In short:
Get tesco baby wipes.
Lube wipe lube wipe. Repeat as necessary.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Oh, and Gunk green degreaser is a lot nicer to use than standard gunk, and is better for the fishes etc. I use it diluted with water about 5:1 in an old Muc-Off spray bottle, and use it to cleanse the MTB and its drivetrain.

Top Bottom