delayed severe fatigue after club ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

truman sparks

Whilst in all likelihood the reason for your symptoms has been covered inearlier posts, you mentioned 7 hour walks in the Scottish Highlands a couple of months back - do you recall being bitten by deer ticks (not midges!) at all, or perhaps noticed a rash? Lyme disease resulting from infected tick bites often presents with extreme fatigue.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Lyme-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx

OP
OP
al78

al78

Guru
Whilst in all likelihood the reason for your symptoms has been covered inearlier posts, you mentioned 7 hour walks in the Scottish Highlands a couple of months back - do you recall being bitten by deer ticks (not midges!) at all, or perhaps noticed a rash? Lyme disease resulting from infected tick bites often presents with extreme fatigue.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Lyme-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Definitely not. I didn't even get bitten by the midges, no evidence of any rashes.

I've had this problem before, about 10 years ago when I went out on cluib rides. I started off on the intermediate rides, eventually got fit enough to do the faster sporting rides, then reached a peak before sliding back down again. I ended up back in the intermediates and even then used to get significant fatigue a couple of hours after the ride was over, despite plenty of water and an energy drink (sometimes a banana half way round). I gave up after my fitness seemed to deteriorate to the point where I got disillusioned, wasn't enjoying it and questioned why I was doing it. Once I stopped the club rides I was able to work up to cycling to work every day, which I managed.

OP
OP
al78

al78

Guru
So club advertise 12-14 then haul you round at 16? Abysmal. I lead my own group of friends on a small weekly ride and plan at 24kmh. I do Ironmans so no stranger to miles, but doing two hours at a significantly faster pace of say 28kmh would cripple me

My friend, who also cycles with the club said it was a bit naughty of them, going as fast as the next group up. I just find it odd that I can go round with them and not feel any detrimental effects on the ride itself, but the fatigue comes on a couple of hours later. That is what I don't get, what brings it on later after I have had a drink and eaten lunch? The only thing I can think of is that I am not eating enough, I did have the same sort of lunch as I would normally have on the weekend, and it may not be enough after three hours of moderate exercise, as opposed to just cycling into town, doing shopping then coming home again. I'll try shoving more (decent) food down next time and see if that makes a difference. Next time they should be back to their normal speed so it (hopefully) may not happen again.

I don't think hydration was the issue. At the halfway point on the ride when we stopped for a snack, I needed to empty my bladder (behind a tree), which I would think means I am adequately hydrated.

Lee_M

Guru
did you keep drinking when you got home? if I dont do that I suffer, even if Ive drunk enough during the ride.

and if you did.3 hours at 16mph then you should increase your food intake

I just find it odd that I can go round with them and not feel any detrimental effects on the ride itself, but the fatigue comes on a couple of hours later. That is what I don't get, what brings it on later after I have had a drink and eaten lunch?
I agree. That does sound odd. It sounds like maybe your body isn't handling blood sugar properly. It's probably nothing, but if you are concerned you could ask your doctor for a diabetes test.

OP
OP
al78

al78

Guru
Are you fine normally or has this a new experience?

It has happened in the past, and I did go to the doctor back then and underwent a series of tests, all of which came back negative. It seemed to improve eventually, but it is just lately that it feels it is starting to come back. I'll have a go with upping the calories and fluid, and try and go to bed a bit earlier.

It has happened in the past, and I did go to the doctor back then and underwent a series of tests, all of which came back negative. It seemed to improve eventually, but it is just lately that it feels it is starting to come back. I'll have a go with upping the calories and fluid, and try and go to bed a bit earlier.
I was just wondering if it was something like C.F. setting in. The delayed reaction after exercise being one of the symptoms.

Top Bottom