1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

deleting nested quotes

Discussion in 'Site Support' started by bonj2, 26 Jul 2007.

1. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

Shaun I think it would be nice to have it so that it doesn't delete nested quotes, e.g. if you are quoting "A" who has in turn quoted "B", then the quote from person "B" disappears from my quote.
    In my opinion, it's easier to delete it if you don't want it than it is to add it in again if you do.

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

I don't want it. Your posts are long enough as it is petal.

3. Shaun

Shaun Founder Staff Member

A poll would be good if vBulletin offered the option of nested quotes, but it doesn't!

Nested quotes have to be done manually, and the fact that VB deletes them isn't something I can switch on/off in the admin panel.

What you're asking for is likely to be a plugin/mod, so I'll add it to the to-do list. :thumbsup:

4. andyoxon

andyoxon Veteran

Actually I tend to agree with bonj :thumbsup:

It is useful to have "B" quoted in automatically - prehaps a plugin could be set to exclude quotes from "C" and below...

Andy

5. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

proper netiquette is to trim quotes, but as folk want to have nested quotes which look terrible, i can't imagine folk trimming quotes.

6. Shaun

Shaun Founder Staff Member

Nested quotes now enabled.

The modification is a very crude one with no depth control, so if nested quotes get out of hand (too many quotes of nested quotes) I'll reset it to the default single quote behaviour.

Cheers,
    Shaun

7. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Cheers, I'll certainly try to avoid too many quotes in one nest... Just sometimes it's handy to have the conversation for clarity...

Top work, once again!

8. simon l& and a half

simon l& and a half New Member

the quote war thing is really, really tedious. Quotes get piled on top of each other and ping back and forth between the two adversaries like some ghastly trauenspiel, building up into page-long posts.

9. Pete

Pete Guest

Here (and preceding posts) is an example of (in my opinion):
    a) too much nesting, and
    ;) the quoted texts and cited authors have got 'out-of-step', sowing confusion!

I respectfully suggest, perhaps we should go back to the way things were?