Deliberately pushed off - Kent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alaskan Rob

Hi,

Riding in Kent yesterday, on the Eynsford Road toward Crockenhill at 4.18pm on Sunday 30th May.

Black, Mitsubishi L200 pick-up truck, with a 'H' in the registration.

Was out cycling with a mate, and we had just joined this road. It's a wide, good quality 'B' road with very light traffic. Riding downhill on a very gentle bend at about 18mph, when I'm suddenly aware a vehicle is incredible close and I'm suddenly accelerating forward much faster. The pick-up truck then shoots past, not stopping. I carry on forward for a few more metres but now doing about 25mph and wobbling I lose control and go up the kerb, and deep into some bushes and trees at the side of the road.

Now I thought I had been clipped accidently by his wing mirror, but this is where it gets more sinister as my mate (who was cycling about 20 metres behind me) said they had passed him incredibly close and that he felt they'd tried to do something to him, but then he actually saw the passengers arm come out and push me from behind.

Lots of cuts and bruises, very sore wrist, knee and neck this morning. Very shaken up* - could have been so much worse, falling off totally out of control at that speed is a lottery. Called Police - and ambulance came to - but they said unlikely to be able to do anything as no CCTV and not enough of a description.

I've googled and read that in recent years there have been a few similar cases in this area, so be careful out there.

* Sadly this is only the second time I've started a thread. The other time was 2 years ago when I actually got hit from behind by a car in central London. That was just incompetence / distraction, this feels a lot worse. I'd only just got the confidence to get back on a bike in recent months after that one, and decided never to cycle in central London again, so had started to cycle more in the country as I didn't want to give up cycling as i had always loved it. But feel especially shaken from yesterday as it literally brought back flash backs and panic attack of the one from 2 years ago :sad:

:sad::tongue:!:smile::ohmy:!:wacko:

Unfortunately there isn't a smiley angry enough to convey the anger I feel at incidents like this.

Rob, I hope you can recover from this, both physically and mentally. It sounds like you have been really unluckly to have had two bad incidents.

Obviously it a shame that you didn't catch the reg number of the 4x4, but I suspect that w@nkers like that will get caught by the police for something else soon anyway.

The sad truth is, it's probably nothing more than bravado. Showing off to your mates, 'look what I can do...' blah, blah, blah. :sad:

Martok

Klingon on a bike
I'm so sorry to hear about this. I hope you're OK and recover soon.

Alaskan Rob said:
Called Police - and ambulance came to - but they said unlikely to be able to do anything as no CCTV and not enough of a description.(

So are witnesses no longer valid these days?! Your friend was with you and saw what they did, surely that's sufficient evidence? Provided of course you can both recall some more details for the police to pursue this.

Martok said:
I'm so sorry to hear about this. I hope you're OK and recover soon.

So are witnesses no longer valid these days?! Your friend was with you and saw what they did, surely that's sufficient evidence? Provided of course you can both recall some more details for the police to pursue this.

I think the problem is that neither of them got the car reg. :sad:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Rob, I am really sorry to read this.

I wonder if the driver and passenger are creatures of habit and travel along the same road at the same times? Wonder if its worth you and your friend to get some cameras and stake the area out? Completely long shot though in all honesty.

I hope you heal up soon! Some people are just c***s. :sad:

It is quite often a case of not needing to...

I had a close call with a black "Warrior" outside Guildford a few years ago, and came across a Police Car, so had a quiet word. I didn't have the reg, but the Police asked a couple of questions (Tinted windows, lights on roof) and then nodded sagely and stated they would be having a word as they knew exactly who it was!

It is always worth reporting.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Totally amazed by that, what possesses people to do such things :sad:

I hope you can recover from this quickly and get back to riding your bike which you obviously enjoy

Mark_Robson

The same thing happened to my dad ten years ago and he hasn't cycled since. I just hope that they get caught before they seriously hurt someone Rob, and I'm glad that your relatively ok.

AndyCarolan said:
Totally amazed by that, what possesses people to do such things :smile:

I hope you can recover from this quickly and get back to riding your bike which you obviously enjoy

Sadly im not surprised anymore.

Matthames

Über Member
This sort of thing makes me angry.

Although I am wondering what would happen if something like this happened and you got on to your brakes pretty sharpish. There would certainly be enough force there to do some serious damage to that person's arm. For starters it would probably rip their arm out of their shoulder tearing all the ligaments plus also fracturing their humerus. This person would be in agony as a result and probably will be unable to use that arm properly ever again.

Damage to you, depends on whether you can keep the bike balanced whilst this is going on.

Crankarm

Guru
Sorry to read of your story. It has clearly scared and caused you injury putting you off cycling for good.

All I can say is give up cycling or continue, but with helmet cams. And look behind you more frequently. Had you goose necked/eye balled this vehicle as it approached I doubt very much they would have tried it or if they had you would have been able to take evasive action. You'd also have got the reg and a good look at the driver and occupants.

But do buy a helmet cam or two if you decide to continue cycling on the roads. Many on here have done so, to name a few - Magnatom (King of Cam), BentMikey and Gaz to name a few.

Top Bottom