Deliverance ... on 18 Wheels!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
Cue Banjo music ....

Now, the HGV driver didn't exactly make me get down on all fours and squeel like a pig, but I suspect he was from the same Hick-Bille psycho family line as the back-woods nutters in the film.

My crime ... well, nothing really.

I'm approaching a two lane round-about [round-a-bout?] and Mr. Truck Driver tries to overtake me before we get the the give way point. He realises, all too late, that he won't make it without cutting me up so he anchors on and pulls back in behind me. He follows me round, revving as he goes, then overtakes me as soon as he can and with very little room between us.

I assume he's pissed off because he misjudged my speed at the round-about, but I let it go and mark it down to experience. Let's face it, there's usually one or two pillocks who come a bit close on your average commute.

1000 yards further on there's another round-about and Mr. HGV gets stuck in a line of traffic waiting to go across. I sail up the inside, and carry on. 500 yards past the round-about Mr. HGV passes me again ... very close ... again!

I'm a bit miffed by now as that's two swipes he's had at me, but console myself with the fact that he'll now rumble off into the distance. WRONG!

1000 yards further on he pulls-in to a bus stop. I get a little worried by this, but as I pass I notice he's turned away from me talking on his phone, and apparently busy with whatever his call is about. Phew! WRONG!

As soon as I pass he revs the buggery out of his truck and sets off again. I'm very tempted to pull-off to the kerb, but don't want to let him bully me - especially since I'd done nothing to deserve his attention.

Once again he passes me with a minimum of room, but thankfully this time he fades into the distance and I have no further encounters with him.

I know what you're going to say, and no I didn't ... I was too bemused/angry/scared and quite simply forgot to take any mental notes of livery or registration marks.

I generally have good experiences with HGV drivers; most often they give me the most room, and can be the most patient, but daft-lad this morning took the biscuit.

Let's hope he's calmed down by the time he next passes me! .... ;)

It's nasty when that happens and you can't get away from them. Drivers of vehicles this size should know better.

I am reminded of a 'conversation I had with a bus driver once when I was a passenger. A car in front of him indicated (in plenty of time) and pulled into a parking space. I was standing waiting to get off (yes I know I should have waited in my seat) and the driver slammed the breaks on. I commented on the fact that he should not have had to break so hard as the chap did a legitimate maneuver and he commented on the longer breaking distances of the bus. Fair enough, however if that is the case then you should be leaving more distance from the car ahead! Another occasion when the driver should have known better.

Anyway I digress! Just be thankful it wasn't an 28 wheel HGV that went past http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6922967.stm :biggrin:;):biggrin:

spen666

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
It's nasty when that happens and you can't get away from them. Drivers of vehicles this size should know better.

I am reminded of a 'conversation I had with a bus driver once when I was a passenger. A car in front of him indicated (in plenty of time) and pulled into a parking space. I was standing waiting to get off (yes I know I should have waited in my seat) and the driver slammed the breaks on. I commented on the fact that he should not have had to break so hard as the chap did a legitimate maneuver and he commented on the longer breaking distances of the bus. Fair enough, however if that is the case then you should be leaving more distance from the car ahead! Another occasion when the driver should have known better.

Anyway I digress! Just be thankful it wasn't an 28 wheel HGV that went past http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6922967.stm :biggrin:;):biggrin:

you argued with a broken bus driver?

Maz

Guru
Sounds scary, Admin!! Glad your OK!...I don't know about Deliverance (you could've fired a crossbow arrow into him when he pulled over), but you should've forced him over the edge of a cliff like in that film Duel.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Errrm, I think it's Duel (following the Spen666 <pedant> mode) ;)

Maz

Guru
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Errrm, I think it's Duel (following the Spen666 <pedant> mode) ;)
Thanks. Corrected...although the dodgy DVD copy I bought from down the covered market had it spelt as 'Dual'. No wonder it was only 99p.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Well, you'll be pleased to know that I travel regularly down the A1033 from Hull to Hedon, getting passed by squillions of HGV's (that's quite a few) heading to/from the docks, and I rarely have any problems.

Either he was having a bad day, or he's just a pratt by nature ;)

Top Bottom