Dented rim (from pothole) - does anyone here repair such things?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've dented my good front dyno-wheel's rim. It's only a small deviation (after adjusting with spoke tensions) but it's enough to drive me mad after 30mins. So I gotta fix it ...
Now I'm settled on just buying a new rim - I can do the swap myself. I don't have the patience or DIY-green-fingers to fix it, even if that is viable. But it's barely worn, and I hate throwing good metal away!

I don't want to recoup any cash here, but just wondering if anyone is even likely to take on such a task? Is it even worth trying to find a home for this poor thing?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Show some pics. Is it still running true ? I've got small dings out of the rim side wall from pot holes using an adjustable spanner and some cloth (to stop scratching) but not advisable on a worn rim.

I'm interested in this too.
I have this rim, but it might be too far gone

I'm interested in this too.
I have this rim, but it might be too far gone
View attachment 590331
ha ha!
No, mine's nowhere near that bad. In fact it's subtle enough you couldn't see it with the tyre on (although you could feel it). I deflated the tyre to give better access, to be sure of what had actually happened.
I doubt I can take a good picture, that's why I haven't bothered.

That will be why it dented in first place then. The rim must have been worn thin by those 19th century brakes!
Possibly .... But if it was on THIS bike, the brake might still work fine. I'm so unlucky :sad:

1621858985875.png

Mine was at full speed into a puddle with the edge of a manhole waiting for me. :cry::cry::cry:
It's tubeless disc brake, so the rim is sound, but I'm not sure that it will ever work for tubeless again. Not even sure that I want to risk a tube, unless someone can tell me how to get it right!!!

Ajax Bay

Guru
My take is that if you can feel the 'duh' on a smooth road surface then it's probably rim change time - you can enjoy the relacing. I had one a bit the same (rim brake) and it was fine, except on smooth surfaces - bit like your 'after 30 minutes' test. My one - an Open Pro - was quite new, but I just bit the bullet, got a replacement at best price and relaced the hub to it. Still going strong.

battered

Guru
Get it close enough with hammer, vice, whatever, then sand it smooth. I did this years ago on my MTB, got it 95%. 2 wet rides later, the dirt and grit had polished it out. The wheel lasted another couple of years before wearing out.

Top Bottom