Derailler on a Track end Frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Is this possible, can you get an axle mounted hanger and whack gears on a frame with track ends?

Also, wheel removal with track ends - I'm guessing that you mount the wheel far enough back that, when loosened, it can slide forward enough to get the chain off the cog. But what about the little nut things that stop the axle slipping forward, do you have to undo these or is there some form of QR for them?

iLB

Hello there
i don't know for sure, but i would guess that the space between the drop outs might be too small to get a cassette in there?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The guy at my lbs was saying that a 27inch wheel is actually quite close in width to a fixedtrack width hence the need to splay a 27" frames chain stays to fit a 700c rear wheel, so you might be able to use a 27" rear hub. I am sure it will be on Sheldon though.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It has been done. You'll probably have to spread the ends a bit. The wheel is more fiddly to get out and released from the chain.

davidad

Hacienda71 said:
The guy at my lbs was saying that a 27inch wheel is actually quite close in width to a fixedtrack width hence the need to splay a 27" frames chain stays to fit a 700c rear wheel, so you might be able to use a 27" rear hub. I am sure it will be on Sheldon though.
Wheel diameter is irrelevant. Most modern track hubs are 120mm OLN which is the same as old 5 speed (and ultra 6) frames. Normal 6 speed frames were 126mm but a 120mm track hub will fit with a 3mm spacer each side provided that the axle is long enough.

jimboalee

The very first bikes had rear facing horiz dropouts. Of course they were fixed or single speed.

When derailleurs came, it was found to be a ballsaching pain in the arse to get the wheel out with the chain looping around jockey wheels.

To fix this, the forward facing sloping dropout was designed.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
davidad said:
Wheel diameter is irrelevant. Most modern track hubs are 120mm OLN which is the same as old 5 speed (and ultra 6) frames. Normal 6 speed frames were 126mm but a 120mm track hub will fit with a 3mm spacer each side provided that the axle is long enough.

I guess that he was what he was referring to, as we were discussing putting a fixed wheel on an old 1979 Eddy Mercx 5 speed 27x1.25 frame. He was saying get a 700c track wheel as the width would be the same as the frame and wheels of that size are far more common as are the tyres etc.

davidad

Hacienda71 said:
I guess that he was what he was referring to, as we were discussing putting a fixed wheel on an old 1979 Eddy Mercx 5 speed 27x1.25 frame. He was saying get a 700c track wheel as the width would be the same as the frame and wheels of that size are far more common as are the tyres etc.
A 700c wheel is a slightly smaller diameter than a 27 inch so that will work although you might have to replace the original brake with one with a deeper drop (or not bother with a rear brake).

mattsccm

Easy. done it on my Tricross SS. What you need is the hnager bracket that is used to put really cheap mechs on really cheap bikes. Its really the hanger and slots into the dropout and is retained by a small plate and a screw. you bolt the hanger to this and slide it into the track end.The small plate keeps it aligned and tightening the QR holds it all there. Track frames are 120mm across. so were old geared bikes although by the time 6 speed freewheels came around everything was 126mm. This sis probably the basis of your idea of springing older frames (which may have had 27" wheels ) for 700c wheels which by the time 8 speed came around had 130mm dropouts if road or 135 if mtb.
I doubt you'll be able to respace a cassette hub to 120mm and you can't stretch a alloy frame. If its steel it will go if you are careful. If you are stuck with 120mm use a freewheel hub and redish the wheel after respacing to 120 mm. the dish maybe a touch severe but it will work. I managed to get a 6 speed block on ok but you may have to consider the weld etc on the right track end.

buddha

Veteran
In the days when on-one used to have a forum (of sorts) I remember reading about someone that put a cassette on a pompino. IIRC on-one (used to) sell a hanger similar to the roadrat one.
You could email Brant and ask if they have any lying around?

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
all sorted the Genesis is 135 rear spacing so I can run as it comes SS/Fixed then hub gear or derailler with a chaintug/axle mounted hanger.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Hub gear, you know it makes sense. Why spoil the clean lines. Shame it isn't disc braked imo.

but wouldn't a roadrat do everything the genesis would?

Top Bottom