Derailleur Damages.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Who would that be then

I was mentioning no names. ^_^ Impressed how you sped to Wrexham and back with a new mech, and had it fixed for lap 2 !

@IanSmithCSE

Sorry, it's gone right to the bottom

I took my time, as the first problem was, that the wheel had come set up for a through-axle
I had to YouTube to see how to swap to the provided spacers/axle-ends

Then I thought I'd broke it, as the pawl & spring flew across the room:blush:

Once I'd got it the correct way round, so it didn't freewheel in both directions, the disc as screwed on (with thread-lock)
Likewise the new sacrifical hanger was also installed with 't-l'

The cleaned up cassette was fine, as the damaged chain was about a month old!!
The new derailleur, a short-cage Ultegra was taken off my unmoved, for about 6 years Ridley...... the furthest it's gone is from a spare bedroom, to the attic!

The tyre & reflectors were moved over, & rather annoyingly, the tyre wouldn't seat straight (high & low spots), so it was liberally showered with talcum powder to help it slide slightly
Which worked.... it smells better too!!

The new chain was one of the two that I bought at Decathlon, at the end of January
I had to shorten it considerably, as oddly they're 118 links!!
I took out about 8, with going from a long-cage 105, to that (2009) Ultegra

Once the cable was threaded through, it was time for some luck!!
The limit-screws are fine, & I didn't even have to adjust the indexing!!!:okay::okay:

One last thing, when it pulled the spoke out, it took the lip off the recess, so it might not have respoked?

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
There's only one spring in both your original 105 RD and the Ultegra RD - they are 'the same'. You are probably benefiting from the new inner cable and less friction opposing the spring as you click 'down' the cassette (to a smaller sprocket).
Edit: Of course there are 3 springs in both derailleurs: I'm talking about the one inside the body/parallelogram.
You also (from image) have the guide jockey wheel very close to the sprocket. Mummy bear distance will mean smoother shifts.

Last edited:
There's only one spring in both your original 105 RD and the Ultegra RD - they are 'the same'. You are probably benefiting from the new inner cable and less friction opposing the spring as you click 'down' the cassette (to a smaller sprocket).
interesting - can you say a bit more on "the same"?
I have an ultegra rear mech which I think is probably of similar vintage to the OPs.
Continues to serve me well.
In preparation for when it doesn't I bought a good condition second hand one that looks kind of similar but when I decoded the model numbers it appears that it is a 105. How similar do you reckon they are?

I got side-tracked a while and back spent an afternoon reading various articles on how tight nuts become undone, it was started by the "quick release is unsafe with disc brakes" discussion
I've owned the CGR for 4 years now, & ridden it a lot
For the past 18 months (or so) since I had to stop running, I've used it almost every working day, say.... 9 out of 10
(that's in all weathers, a lot of grotty woodland/bridleways too)

I've never noticed the q/r moving/slipping

Hang on...........
I've used a tin-opener :whistle:

Top Bottom