Derailleur help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Helpme

Hi all really need help last year my chain came off when changing gear, now derailleur won't come down if I pull it and let go it just shoots back up. Ive changed cable and chain but still won't come down. I've spent few hours messing but nothing help!!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Pictures or a video of the problem might help people understand the problem better.

Welcome to the forum, we will help as much as we can but you description is a little vague.

Reactions: C R

shornby

Regular
Hi all really need help last year my chain came off when changing gear, now derailleur won't come down if I pull it and let go it just shoots back up. Ive changed cable and chain but still won't come down. I've spent few hours messing but nothing help!!

shornby

Regular
if the chain is on the big chain ring and round the smallest sprocket --- the rear mech pulley wheels should be vertical -- if not the chain is the wrong length ------ if this is the case go onto GCN on you tube and watch a video on how to get the chain to the correct length

OP
OP
H

Helpme

Thanks for reply my bike is 11 speed the chain is correct length, I do all my own repairs but this has me beat

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:@Helpme
really need help last year my chain came off when changing gear, now derailleur won't come down if I pull it and let go it just shoots back up.
We can't envisage what the issue is, I think. Try to explain more clearly what you mean by 'derailleur won't come down'. Down where? Down to the smallest sprocket? Down to the largest sprocket?
Pictures or a video of the problem might help
It might but OP will not be able to post pictures (too new).

Last edited:

shornby

Regular
did you check on the spec of the rear Mech ? It just looks too short (ie a racing Mech) for such a large rear sprocket --- which really needs a long arm mech. Riding on the big chain ring and the biggest sprocket anyway i bad idea as the chain is at too great an angle ----

Ajax Bay

Guru
It just looks too short (ie a racing Mech) for such a large rear sprocket
What looks too short? Have you seen an image of the OP's drivetrain? Or was this comment meant for a different thread?
OP posted twice on Monday and has not been back to CycleChat to look since then. Suspect they've sorted it - and we'll never know what the problem was!

Top Bottom