Derailleur Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SirBarrelBear

Hi Folks,
Just wanted to get some advice as I am only after purchasing a new mountain bike (the last one I had was when I was a child).
I bought it roughly a month ago and the weather has only started to pick up recently so I finally took it out for its first spin, but was disappointed when I found and issue.
1. Gears wear rubbing against the carriage, I have since been able to sort this out by carrying out some adjustments.
2. When coasting/free wheeling, the chain at the rear pulls forward from time to time causing the chain to go slack (see video in below link). It seems to do it more often when the chain is in the smaller gears on the rear wheel.

View: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1ikekgUQE267xoHpoB9cfUbD32WGtjUOI

I have been talking to the bike shop but they don't want to hear about it.
Is there anything I can do myself to sort this? Any help would be much appreciated!!
Thanks in advance.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
There are many books available on how to maintain your bike. I would imagine you tube probably has someone showing how to solve the issue. It will be an adjustment issue I reckon. Can't see the video.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can't see much from that video.
Are you saying the upper jockey wheel (that's the upper of the two small wheels in the derailleur) is running too close to the block causing it interfere with smooth operation?
There is usually a screw on most derailleurs which can adjust this distance,

This is the B screw video here:

View: https://youtu.be/UXnLJpTVFJ0

BTW :welcome: to the forum.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:
Point #2 Sounds like a sticky freehub too.
But if the bike is new, then really the OP is best advised to go back to the shop seller to ask for help, whether they "want to hear about it" or not.

Last edited:
It's a sticky freewheel or freehub. Usually a sign that your freewheel or freehub is at death's door. You can sometimes extend the life of a freewheel mechanism temporarily by laying the bike on its non drive side, spinning the wheel and seeping a bit of machine oil into the the very thin gap between the moving and the stationary bits of the freewheel. A freehub's freewheeling mechanism is inboard of the axle bearing, so can't be reached without taking the cassette off and the axle out of it. By which point it usually makes more sense just to replace the freehub body rather than attempt to resuscitate.

Reactions: C R

boydj

Legendary Member
Any decent bike shop should offer a free service for a new bike at about 6 weeks to make minor adjustments and make sure that everything is working properly. If the bike needs adjustment so soon after buying it, it is because it was not set up properly by the seller and it is their responsibility to fix the problems.

Sorry, I failed to note that it's a new bike. In which case it's a straightforward warranty issue. Maybe keep it to yourself that you've fiddled with the derailleur. They might judge that you've invalidated your warranty by doing so.

OP
OP
S

SirBarrelBear

Thanks for all the feedback folks, this is much appreciated!
I'll physically take the bike back to the shop and see what they can do.
Once again, thanks for the help!

Top Bottom