Derailleur spring broke

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by bladderhead, 27 Apr 2019.

Tags:
  1. bladderhead

bladderhead Well-Known Member

A new experience for me. I heard it snap. I wondered if something had broken. I was in the lowest gear, waiting at the lights. Off I went, tried to change gear, no change gear. I looked and saw that the hook at the end of the spring had snapped off. I can see the shiny metal where it snapped. I pulled the derailleur into third gear and got going again. It changed back into first. Eventually I got fed up with this. I jammed a piece of tree in it which locked it in 4th, thus I got home. Must I buy a new derailleur?

I thought my bike must have run out of ideas for ways to impose misery on me, but I was wrong. The bastard is more creative than I gave it credit for.

An XX1 derailleur. Buy expensive bits. It is more funny when they break.

curzons246 likes this.
  2. Specialeyes

Specialeyes Über Member

SRAM offer a 2 year warranty and it doesn't seem 2 years since the XX1 came out? Springs are not listed as a 'wear and tear' part in their exclusions here so it's probably worth a try under warranty.

Salty seadog, mustang1 and keithmac like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    bladderhead

I think mine is 4 years old. There are reviews of XX1 on the internet dated 2013. But has this ever happened to anyone? I think I am cursed.

4. Crackle

Crackle Squatter

Rear no, front, yes. Although technically it wasn't the spring but the metal moulding that holds the spring. Anyway up it rendered the dérailleur useless. I suspect it'll be easier to buy a new dérailleur than find a spring but try SJS.

Last edited: 28 Apr 2019
    Tom B likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    bladderhead

Anyway, the pins to which the spring is attached are rivets so I cannot get the spring out or a new one in. I need a new derailleur. Expensive replacement for a spring.

6. bikingdad90

bikingdad90 Über Member

Would a rival 1 11 speed rear mech work with your setup? Half the price?

7. OP
    OP
    bladderhead

I got one on ebay. Just like the one I had. 80 quid. I assume this one will go on for a few years before the spring snaps. Then I can get another one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice