Derailleur spring broke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladderhead

A new experience for me. I heard it snap. I wondered if something had broken. I was in the lowest gear, waiting at the lights. Off I went, tried to change gear, no change gear. I looked and saw that the hook at the end of the spring had snapped off. I can see the shiny metal where it snapped. I pulled the derailleur into third gear and got going again. It changed back into first. Eventually I got fed up with this. I jammed a piece of tree in it which locked it in 4th, thus I got home. Must I buy a new derailleur?

I thought my bike must have run out of ideas for ways to impose misery on me, but I was wrong. The bastard is more creative than I gave it credit for.

An XX1 derailleur. Buy expensive bits. It is more funny when they break.

SRAM offer a 2 year warranty and it doesn't seem 2 years since the XX1 came out? Springs are not listed as a 'wear and tear' part in their exclusions here so it's probably worth a try under warranty.

OP
OP
B

bladderhead

I think mine is 4 years old. There are reviews of XX1 on the internet dated 2013. But has this ever happened to anyone? I think I am cursed.

Rear no, front, yes. Although technically it wasn't the spring but the metal moulding that holds the spring. Anyway up it rendered the dérailleur useless. I suspect it'll be easier to buy a new dérailleur than find a spring but try SJS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bladderhead

Anyway, the pins to which the spring is attached are rivets so I cannot get the spring out or a new one in. I need a new derailleur. Expensive replacement for a spring.

OP
OP
B

bladderhead

I got one on ebay. Just like the one I had. 80 quid. I assume this one will go on for a few years before the spring snaps. Then I can get another one.

Top Bottom