Derby City Council spend £6000 on three bike pumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
At that price I assumed they are made by Rapha :whistle:

Cyclist33

Jeez, they must have money to burn at Derby... if I need good air on the fly I just find the nearest bike shop and borrow the track pump!

MisterStan

Label Required
Jeez, they must have money to burn at Derby... if I need good air on the fly I just find the nearest bike shop and borrow the track pump!
What happens when the shops are shut?

We have a couple on the Busway in Cambs - they are great when you've changed a tube and want to get full pressure again, my mini pump is great but it's bloody hard work getting back to 100 psi!

snorri

Legendary Member
I can't understand the objection to this expenditure when Derby Council offers free car parking to the private motorist. The cost to the Council of providing just one free parking space will soon exceed the cost of three cycle tyre pumps.
I see in the press report a Derby local claims track pumps are available for £1 in Derby, get along down there folks!

phil_hg_uk

I can imagine the telephone conversation with the suppliers .........

Council: Good morning we would like to buy 3 large track pumps please
Supplier: Certainly sir that will be £300 can you give me your details
Council: Yes it is Derby City Council
Council: Ok in that case the total for your order will be £6000

:wacko:

screenman

Legendary Member

We have a couple on the Busway in Cambs - they are great when you've changed a tube and want to get full pressure again, my mini pump is great but it's bloody hard work getting back to 100 psi!

Have you tried CO2?

phil_hg_uk

I have the Road Morph G and it has a little fold out stand and the handle folds out into a T Grip and I can get the tyre up to 100 psi in a couple of mins no problem.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Are these sort of pumps necessary ?

I check my tyres before I set off and I also have a pump on the bike, If you found yourself in need of a pump then you would probably have a puncture and if you don't carry a pump why would you be carrying a repair outfit or a spare tube so who are they for.
There's a couple at each end of my (current) commute.

I have a pump with me (a Road Morph G) but I don't have to fish the council's pumps out of my bag, and they get up to pressure quicker than my portable pump does. I'd sooner see my route upgraded (perhaps de iced in winter? or the leaves from Autumn cleared away?) but the pumps (and the stand of simple tools that's alongside them can be fairly useful at times.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I can't understand the objection to this expenditure when Derby Council offers free car parking to the private motorist. The cost to the Council of providing just one free parking space will soon exceed the cost of three cycle tyre pumps.
I see in the press report a Derby local claims track pumps are available for £1 in Derby, get along down there folks!
It's because it's bikes, and because people are idiots.

Obviously, they think, these things are cheap, because they are for bikes, and buying ones that need to be reasonably theft and damage proof and installing them will be as cheap as buying a pump that's not really the same in any way from poundland. Also, why aren't you spending my council tax money on the lovely cars? I pay your wages, you know (&c)

Top Bottom