Desert Island Lyrics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Or, another thread about favourite lines from songs. (Here's one. And here's an earlier one.)

A place to celebrate the best poetry emotion, be it personally relevant or just exquisitely fine tuned.

I will offer up two:
Tom Waits, Burma-Shave: “She took out her barrettes, and her hair spilled out like root beer”
Angus and Julia Stone, And the Boys: “All the cracks in the walls reminds you of things we said”

I can’t believe I started this thread and didn’t submit anything by Dylan.

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I can’t believe I started this thread and didn’t submit anything by Dylan.
Every cloud....

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
You've not heard "Murder Most Foul" then (5 minutes was enough for me never mind 17) :wacko:
When you've written as much as he has, you're bound to come out with some clunkers... though no, I haven't heard that. I'll take your word for it.

Anyway, the point was to come up with song writers who speak to you.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Ain't no doubt about it we were doubly blessed
'cos we were barely 17 and we were barely dressed
Have you ever seen the Old Grey Whistle test episode for this song. It’s a full on immersive experience. 4 mins 50 gets quite sexual, then 9 mins 10 they break into full domestic abuse. You can’t say they were phoning it in.

I can only assume Mary Whitehouse was in bed when this went out!

View: https://youtu.be/NUcEVkfuZ9U

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My best friend has a headstone
By a rainy motorway
The coffin went down
Some of us prayed
We threw some dirt down the hole
Then we walked away
But if he was alive
He couldn't help me today

snorri

Legendary Member
A place to celebrate the best poetry emotion, be it personally relevant or just exquisitely fine tuned. One of the first songs I knew by heart, along with this one:

View: https://youtu.be/iX_TFkut1PM

Thanks for the memory, that song takes me back to the Orphir road between Kirkwall and Stromness on a beautiful summer evening in 1970, happy days.

During my official exercise walk this evening I was looking at a fallen branch which someone had lifted off the road and placed on the verge. I was reminded of a stormy winter night in Wester Ross, near Eilean Donan Castle, when my journey was stopped by a fallen tree. I turned my car with the plan of taking the Old Road over Carr Brae but had barely got into second gear when stopped by another tree across the road which could only have missed me by a minute or two.
Anyway the tune that was being played endlessly at that time was Bobbie Gentry. I'll Never Fall In Love Again.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-g2RCdk8nI

With for me the classic lines........
What do you get when you kiss a guy?
You get enough germs to catch pneumonia
After you do, he'll never phone ya :biggrin:

Oh and the following morning I was driven back to collect my car in an E type Jaguar, my one and only trip in an 'E type':smile:
Maybe it's the lock down, I'm all sentimental tonight:smile:

Top Bottom