Designing Product for Casual Protective Clothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

satansmeerkat

Hi guys,
I am currently doing a presentation for university where i have to design a product for a market of my choice. I am a bike nut, so I thought I would design a product for cyclists.

The product I am thinking of doing is a line of Kevlar lined casual clothing. Namely, shirts, long sleeve tee's and jumpers. The products would be casual clothes lined with Kevlar and padding so that you can go out on your bike looking cool, while remaining protected.

I understand it would not be a substitute for a full set of leathers, however it would be a lighter alternative for the fashion conscious lot.

I know there are similar products, however not easily available for the UK market.

I have a few questions that I would like you to answer, if you can, to help with a survey i am doing:

1. Would you consider buying a padded Kevlar shirt for use on roads: YES / NO
(if not, why not)

2. If so, what protection would you prefer: Kevlar Lined / Soft padding and Kevlar / Hard armour and Kevlar

3. Would you like the shirt to be customisable (i.e patches, different prints, colours, names etc): YES / NO

4. How much would you be willing to pay for just a Kevlar lined shirt:
£20-40 / £41 - £60 / £61 - £80 / £81 - £100 / £101+

5. How much would you be willing to pay for a fully armoured and Kevlar lined shirt:
£20-40 / £41 - £60 / £61 - £80 / £81 - £100 / £101+

6. Sex: MALE / FEMALE / YES PLEASE

KneesUp

Guru
shirts, long sleeve tee's and jumpers. The products would be casual clothes lined with Kevlar and padding so that you can go out on your bike looking cool, while remaining protected.

I understand it would not be a substitute for a full set of leathers, however it would be a lighter alternative for the fashion conscious lot.

Are you serious? Why would a cyclist need a substitute for leathers?

It all sounds very heavy and hot for riding a bike in - what's the density of Kevlar compared to, say, cotton?

KneesUp

Guru
Actually I'll answer my own question - Kevlar is slightly less dense than cotton, so each garment would be almost twice as heavy.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I suspect the OP has merely glanced at this forum and misunderstood what it's about: bikes without motors.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur

Ah! It all makes sense now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom