Detention Lines: I will wear a helmet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

handsome joe

Had a nasty accident yesterday. Had to cross two lanes of traffic to take a short cut. Half way across i noticed the car heading towards me was speeding up therefore causing me to increase my speed. Due to not taking this short cut for a long time i had forgotten there is permernent barriers at the entrance to this road. There is two small gaps for cycles but you have to slow down to get through. So there's me going way too fast and hiting a concrete kerb thats part of the barrier.

I heard the sound of my metal (my pedal) hitting concrete and find myself flying with my bike through the air upside down. Luckily i came down towards my left side. But my knee, elbow and especially my wrist/hand took the full force. This being London no one stopped to ask how i was just a couple of kids giggling nearby. I immediately did the macho thing of standing up and acting like nothing happened......i sat back down sharpish. The kids came over, asked if i was alright, then commented on how spectacular and desperate i looked flying through the air. The bike was ok but my knee and wrist really hurt. For some reason i got back on the bike and cycled home? When i got home i started to feel the pain and saw the swelling.

At A+E i found out i had broken my wrist. Luckily there was only abrasions on my knee and elbow. While i was waiting for the x-ray i was wondering what if i had landed on my head? I have finally concluded i am not master of the universe and must wear a helmet. Also seeing how upset my Son was when i came home with my arm in a plaster and sling hit home. When i leave home my family are expecting me to return home in one piece.

So if there is anyone out there not wearing a helmet, please get one.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Doh.................

Glad it's not too bad.....

Maz

Guru
I think you should only do those detention lines once your arm is out of the cast!
Get well soon!

Leadlegs

Ride a bike - wear a helmet.

Sorry to hear about the broken bones. Wrists take a while to heal and ache for years afterwards.

robz400

So you're saying that you had a spectacular crash, whilst not wearing a helmet, without harming your head, but now I must wear a helemt, in case I too have a spectacular crash whilst not......:rolleyes::wacko:

robz400 said:
So you're saying that you had a spectacular crash, whilst not wearing a helmet, without harming your head, but now I must wear a helemt, in case I too have a spectacular crash whilst not......:rolleyes::wacko:

+ 1

I've had a similar accident, while not wearing a helmet, and I didn't bang my head either, and I still don't wear a helmet.

yenrod

robz400 said:
So you're saying that you had a spectacular crash, whilst not wearing a helmet, without harming your head, but now I must wear a helemt, in case I too have a spectacular crash whilst not......:biggrin::wacko:

..and his son is very upset having seen his Daddy injured.

His Dad is his icon of strength - having seen him 'weak'.

But the fact that his Dad is going to be smart and strong from now on - isnt he, Handsome !

No disrespect Hand !!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Glad it wasn't more serious, but rather than wearing a helmet to prevent an injurythat didn't happen.........

Body armour would have helped prevent the ones that did.....

Ride a bicycle - wear Body Armour!

44F8853F-F1F0-408F-16BD3FD7C38E7EC9.jpg

OP
OP
H

handsome joe

I don't expect to change anyone's views or habits. Just a change to a personal opinion...having realised how fast an accident can happen and having no control over events. If i start wearing a helmet and never have an accident again what does that prove or vice a versa. What i do know for sure is that if i had landed on my head instead of my arm and leg i would of been i worse state them i am. What anyone takes from that i would not begin to make a guess at.

col

Legendary Member
I see what your saying,but im afraid iv never worn one,and cant get used to them,but like you say,what if?

handsome joe said:
I don't expect to change anyone's views or habits. Just a change to a personal opinion...having realised how fast an accident can happen and having no control over events. If i start wearing a helmet and never have an accident again what does that prove or vice a versa. What i do know for sure is that if i had landed on my head instead of my arm and leg i would of been i worse state them i am. What anyone takes from that i would not begin to make a guess at.

Joe, you'll find the helmet question to be quite emotive for some. Cunobelin often uses analogies which are not quite equivalent but are designed to make people think of overall risk.

Personally I wear one having once fractued my skull from a bike accident. It's entirely debatable if a helmet would have helped, however on the basis that it might have and on the basis that the head injury was far worse than the cuts and bruises I recieved as well, I now wear one.

Be under no illusions though. Do some research and you'll find the case for helmets is not as clear as you might think and there is even a good case against them. You didn't hit your head. 99% of the time you won't. If you are ever unlucky enough to be hit at speed by a car then a helmet probably won't help but it might just save you from yourself.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
robz400 said:
So you're saying that you had a spectacular crash, whilst not wearing a helmet, without harming your head, but now I must wear a helemt, in case I too have a spectacular crash whilst not......;):wacko:

+2

Top Bottom