Devices to enable communication Between 2 Riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mini58

hi people: does anyone know of or indeed use a communication device so that 2 riders can talk to each other as they cycle along?

Many thanks.

Alan

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Talk loudly?

Being serious, I had one years ago when I had a motorcycle and Mrs SJ rode pillion. I found it very distracting and junked it after one ride, apart from the wind noise it is like having a phone conversation while riding or driving and your concentration goes. I would only consider one now if it was on a strict understanding that it would only be used for short instructions like "Next left", or "Stop here".

We have used hand held walkie talkies on one of our zombie fests , worked as well as could be expected but not good despite range quoted at 3km 1000meters was difficult and 500 m in built up areas , never used them again

A coupe of friends used motorcycle ones , they found they works but our group never bothered , we have mobiles .

I umpire hockey matches in between cycling and we use 'BT Interphone' radios and either 'Jabra Wave Corded' earpieces (which are discontinued but easily the best and obtainable on eBay from the States for about a tenner) or the supplied secret-service-style eartubes. They're open-mic (i.e. always on) and designed for motorbike tuition. You can pair up to 6 radios and even your phone, but we just use them in pairs for umpiring. Their range is pretty decent too - I'd say getting on for 800m-1km with a clear line-of-sight.

Google BT Interphone and Jabra Wave Corded and you'll see you can get set up for about £80.
More info here: http://www.mci2.co.uk/docs.html

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
MG_6082.jpg

There is a make of helmet with bone conduction headphones built in. It's BT to your phone and iirc has walkie talkie to the wearers of other, similar helmets. Microphone is mounted in the front of the helmet out if the wind.

Hockey pitches are bigger than I remember.
It's not the size of the pitch, it's the fact that you can still hear your colleague when he's at the far end of the car park or in the loo and has forgotten to unplug! DAMHIKT :whistle: We used the radios on a London-Paris ride too, which is where the distance comes from.

Top Bottom