Di2 Difficult Diagnosis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you get any sort of low battery warning before it happens . I think it shifts from big to little at the front . If not it would seem the battery is holding charge and its voltage is ok . It seems odd that the dfly still works , indicating the connection to the levers from the dfly is fine and also there is power to the levers/dfly . Maybe check the internal junction box connections for tightness /damp/corrosion ? especially the 2 going to the RD and the FD ?

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Yes.

Take it to a bikeshop who have the diagnosis kit.

You've 3 years warranty, and you should make use of it. You've paid for it.
Tricky. Of the two local LBSs, I wouldn't touch one with @dan_bo's. I've no direct experience with the other, but heard mixed reviews round and about. If they have a Di2 diagnostic box and won't charge me too much to plug into it, then I'll bite the bullet. However, I'm a software engineer by trade (including some ANT+ coding) so trust by own diagnostic abilities around this sort of thing more than Joe Bikeshop.

If there's nothing obviously wrong after I've poked around the battery connections I'll contact Canyon, but I'd be reluctant to send the bike all the way back to Germanland for a warranty assessment, especially if the issue is intermittent. I don't know the German for "we couldn't find anything wrong", but I can lay a bet that it's a phrase I might hear.

SheilaH

I trust my abilities over most bikeshops too, but if I had a faulty Di2 9070 still in warranty there is only one thing I would do...

Canyon Bicycles UK Ltd
Unit 72, Barwell Business Park,
Leatherhead Road,
Chessington,
KT9 2NY
Service Centre UK:
Monday to Friday 10.00am – 5.00pm
Phone: +44 208 5496001
uk@canyon.com

keithmac

Guru
If it's a Lithium battery it will have it's own controller and that will disconnect it if it appears the voltage is too low (Lithium batteries have a narrow range of safe voltage and will be permanently damaged if discharged too far).

You don't get the same reaction as a normal lead acid battery discharge to the controller, possibly a calibration issue?.

Lithium batteries aren't infallible, it could quite possibly be a battery failure.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
OK - progress. ALL cables are tight and intact and the connectors are good, including around the battery. I've managed to reproduce the behaviour by twiddling on the rollers for 15-20 minutes with frequent gear changes until the whole thing goes dead. Plug in the Junction A box, slip the USB end in and out of a socket quick-sharp (less than a second, so absolutely no meaningful recharge) and the system is up and running again.

With this info, I've now got in touch with Canyon UK Service as a warranty issue.

The important thing here is reproducibility. I appreciate that I could have just handed the problem straight over to Canyon, but there's benefit to getting a handle on the issue myself first. The most obvious is that it could just have been a loose cable. But there are also some advantages when it comes to warranty. The better I can describe the problem, the easier it is for Canyon to either (a) start to sort it or (b) justify it to themselves that new bits are required and get them out pronto. I believe they'll also be more inclined to help because I've made an effort and I'll also be less likely to be fobbed off with a "turn it off and on again" type response. The goal here is to get it sorted as quickly as possible.

@jay clock - thanks for the heads-up. You know the LBSs of which I speak.

Top Bottom