Di2 transfer to a different bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Made a removal tool out of hacksawed copper pipe… borked the bb… it was shot on the NDS anyway… took into Giant store… tried to act casual… they have hopefully now removed the bb, connected the junction b box and replaced the borked BB. I routed the cables as much as possible myself before taking it in and Secured the ends with frog tape to the frame. Will see when I collect tomorrow, fingers crossed!

p.s. Terry, I studied the video for the home made cable feeder tool and made myself one, works a a treat and will serve me well in the future, thanks

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i had di2 on my mtb and then put it on the emtb....i only used 3 cables, as it was a 1x system and flatbar......

i put the battery into the handlebars, junction box under the stem and then 1 cable all the way to the rear mech

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
It's finished!
Collected the frame (with new BB installed) and they had plugged in the 4 cables to the B junction box before putting in the new BB.
Spent most of the day juggling work and rebuilding this. Need a new front brake cable soonish but for now it'll do.

Moral of the story is - don't bite off more than you can chew even if you have a big gob. If you do - make sure you have thought about bottom brackets! Random pics of the re-build below - I will take a better one of the obligatory side view, in top gear with valves hidden etc. when it isn't wet :smile:

defy rebuild 1.jpg

defy rebuild 2.jpg
defy rebuild 3.jpg

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
It rides ok - shame about the rider.
So, now I have decided to rebuild the Propel frame with conventional wired gearing. To say I have some spares hanging around is a slight understatement lol. I will go with a Tiagra build but first snag I have is the cable routing/outers/ferrules. I have found something that routed my two gear cables down through the same hole on the top of the top tube and have fed the inner guide 'sleeves' as far as they go. FD one is plenty long enough, RD one ends somewhere in the middle of the chainstay, as far as I can tell. Getting the newly fed RD cable (inner) out through the hole in the stay is tricky and not yet resolved. I will continue later and post updates. I had considered selling the frame but always good to have a spare road bike knocking around, just incase!

keithmac

Guru
A company does a Bluetooth shift kit for the rear derailleur, looks a good bit of kit and £400 for the lot iirc.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Rebuild has been with some challenges - few new cable kits sourced and some swearing has happened. It is almost finished, just need to install the new bar tape. Noting quite so satisfying as snipping the ends off brand new cables and putting on new end caps.

For your viewing pleasure: Propel Tiagra backup road bike / winter hack :okay:

Old skool cables and nasty zip tie cable management for that gravel bike vibe...

p.s. sorry for breaking the golden rule of photographing bikes (largest chainring/smallest sprocket/valves hidden behind frame)
propel-rebuild.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom