Diamond Back to Basics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Mostly sorted now.

The right hand shifter pod was in bits when I got the bike and it's proving difficult to find a replacement. I'd like to use the original ST-MC30 brake levers as they match the STX cantilver brakes. A new pod won't fit under the old bracket and all the modern STI untits are designed for V brakes. Looks like I'll have to buy some 3x7 revoshifters or fit the ST-EF510 units with V brakes I have in my parts bin. This would spoil the vintage look though.

The Sakae beam stem is crazy, 130mm of solid alloy.

The True Temper AVR frame is lighter than my old Reynolds 500 Dawes and Raleigh mountain bikes I've owned from that period, but I do miss the lugged contstruction, much nicer to look at than welds.

Eventually it'll get mudguards + road tyres and it'll be used as a speedy street bike /commuter.

_nc_ohc=bncyJFyi_jQAX-m6APB&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=fwBjFpQl1EQAX9PHGnG&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.jpg

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ohh, Snap. That's still in very good original condition. Mine was the marble grey with Shimano Deore LX - I had it professionally resprayed a long time ago.

I'll dig out some pictures

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
It's a very chippy paint finish. I've had to touch-in lots of chips left by chain slap and stones. Not as tough as my Dawes or Raleigh bikes. I dropped a hex key on the forks when taking it apart and it chipped down to the metal really easily. The only similar brand with thin paint is Peugeot.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Current models still that way, it seems. I have a fairly new hybrid Diamondback that has very thin paint as well. Since it is a winter bike, I'm going to have to do some touch-up before winter, even if it is aluminum.

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
All done, the current set-up rides more like a road bike than an MTB, really nippy.

Spec as follows

Original parts:

STX FC-MC30 22 34 42 Chainset 175mm
STX RD-MC30 rear derailleur
STX FD-MC30 front derailleur
26.6mm alloy seatpost
Avenir QR seat clamp
HL 58cm alloy bars
Dia Compe aheadset

New parts:

VP 110.5mm bottom bracket
ST-EF510 STi 3x7 V brake shifters