Did I miss a bargain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sounds dodgy.

My son bought the 700D from HDEW Cameras - these are grey imports but come with a full 3 year extended warranty, and were £120 cheaper than everywhere else. He got it with the standard 18-55mm STM lens and I've bought him a Sigma 75-300mm lens which we are so far impressed with.

He is starting out, so his next purchases are a full sized tripod and then a SLR backpack.

We paid £330 for the 700D and the 18-55 lens. £450 everywhere else !!

I bought a Canon body from Jessops, and it did have an aberration on the reflector. I took it back, and they were very helpful in getting me a replacement, and taking care of the warranty admin. It's a lot like a LBS, vs a large chain bike place, you get a better service ( usually ) from the people who know what they are doing. I know some people berate Jessops, and call them 'mess ups' and the like, but Ibe never had an issue with them personally.

[QUOTE 4184208, member: 45"]So a bloke is hanging around Jessops, approaching their customers to offer better deals that he has in his van in the car park. And you're asking whether you've missed a bargain. Shouldn't you be asking whether you've avoided an illegal transaction?[/QUOTE]
Got to agree. At worst they are stolen - at best they will be rejects/duds/seconds or grey imports - all of which could make it an expensive mistake in the long run... price too good to be true? then it almost certainly is...

Sounds dodgy.

My son bought the 700D from HDEW Cameras - these are grey imports but come with a full 3 year extended warranty, and were £120 cheaper than everywhere else. He got it with the standard 18-55mm STM lens and I've bought him a Sigma 75-300mm lens which we are so far impressed with.

He is starting out, so his next purchases are a full sized tripod and then a SLR backpack.

We paid £330 for the 700D and the 18-55 lens. £450 everywhere else !!
My advice - spend as much as you can on the tripod - a decent one will last him a lifetime!

Dave7

Legendary Member
My advice - spend as much as you can on the tripod - a decent one will last him a lifetime!
Not being picky but that does need qualifying.
When I had my Canon 500mm f4 lens I spent a lot on the tripod and (as you suggest) it was worth every penny. Now I have dropped to a 100-400mm I don't need such stability/strength so sold that and bought a 2nd hand tripod more appropriate to the needs.

Not being picky but that does need qualifying.
When I had my Canon 500mm f4 lens I spent a lot on the tripod and (as you suggest) it was worth every penny. Now I have dropped to a 100-400mm I don't need such stability/strength so sold that and bought a 2nd hand tripod more appropriate to the needs.
Fair enough... but apart from the weight too much stability is never a problem :becool:

Top Bottom