Did some Hard Maths On What Gives the Most SPEED Gains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm pretty sure that when I've cycled in hot weather in Johannesburg, which is at 5500 feet above sea level, I've gone faster thanks to less dense air but I wouldn't know how to prove it or measure the density.
Would that be downhill mainly? I tend to find the fastest times tended to be in colder weather when the air is thicker and you're inhaling more oxygen so tend to get out of breath a little less (like how engines have more hp due to the same thing).. Could see how downhill would be quicker with thinner air though..

Also just slightly damp roads (maybe in my head). I will admit though, last winter pushing harder on my commute with the air density thing in my head - I'm sure that had a lot to do with a chest infection I didn't shift for 2 months.. So I was actually a lot slower then...

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's just an impression on the downhill bits. Climbing, you have to breath a bit harder so you may well be a little slower.

What is being proposed is similar to the lift system that is operated at Lynton and Lynmouth. The lift at the top has it's tank filled with water which then descends pulling up the lower lift .

Top Bottom