Did some Hard Maths On What Gives the Most SPEED Gains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itaa

I wasn't able to find the exact numbers anywhere,just articles saying -- better, worse... which is totally useless so I did my own.
I will try to keep this short, I have 3 sheets full of calculations but this is to sum it up:

-If you ride slow around 15km/h a Tyre change from OK tyres to great tyres with low rolling resistance will give you huge gains alone,

-If you average speed is 25km/h+ a tyre change will still give a good effect, but the aero is HUGE ( You can Install TT bars on your mtb for like £15 and they will give you BETTER aero than being on drops on a Road bike + wear tighter fitting clothes + just look at your pose in mirror/reflection)

-Various ''must have'' bits/weight of the bike or the brand of the bike/your gear/bicycle type.. gives very very marginal gains, we are talking about max 1-3% gains,under 25km/h , about 5% if we are going at 35km/h+ speeds.

Here are the numbers If we start with a mtb/hybrid with decent tyres and not very huge layers of clothes and change to better rolling tyres (£40-50/pair) and Install TT bars on your bike to get in good position + have a decent form and better fitting clothes
( based on a 80kg rider with a 14kg bike, they will change around 0.4-0.5% if you drop the weight of the bike by 4kg - so very marginal and not worth it)

Only with better tyres increase your speed from 15km/h to 17km/h /// 13% gain or from 60mins to 52mins to do the same distance.
Only with better tyres increase your speed from 25km/h to 26.5km/h /// 6% gain or from 60mins to 56.5mins to do the same distance.

With Better tyres+ TT bars+ good position From 15km/h to 19.3km/h /// 28% gain or from 60mins to 43mins to do the same distance.
With Better tyres+ TT bars+ good position From 25km/h to 30.3km/h /// 21% gain or from 60mins to 47.5min to do the same distance.

You can play around with some of the data here, https://www.gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html however you will need to know the resistances on everything ( it's available if you search around).

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm pretty sure that when I've cycled in hot weather in Johannesburg, which is at 5500 feet above sea level, I've gone faster thanks to less dense air but I wouldn't know how to prove it or measure the density.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
You can play around with some of the data here, https://www.gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html however you will need to know the resistances on everything ( it's available if you search around).

First thought on looking at that was 'How on earth do I work out my frontal area?' but I did a bit of googling and turned up this:
https://www.triradar.com/training-advice/how-to-calculate-your-drag/

Sounds somewhat dubious to me, though - it will give you a figure that assumes your frontal area is a 2D shape with no depth. Presumably things like frame clearances can make a big difference to how air travels over the bike and body, which is why TT bikes have the rear wheel tucked in so tight to the seat tube, for example. There must be countless other variables that are impossible to measure with any meaningful degree of accuracy without a wind tunnel and advanced CFD software...

First thought on looking at that was 'How on earth do I work out my frontal area?' but I did a bit of googling and turned up this:
https://www.triradar.com/training-advice/how-to-calculate-your-drag/

Sounds somewhat dubious to me, though - it will give you a figure that assumes your frontal area is a 2D shape with no depth. Presumably things like frame clearances can make a big difference to how air travels over the bike and body, which is why TT bikes have the rear wheel tucked in so tight to the seat tube, for example. There must be countless other variables that are impossible to measure with any meaningful degree of accuracy without a wind tunnel and advanced CFD software...

The Cd (Drag coefficient) is what allows for the 3D side of it. And the airflow around the frame and leaving the rider at the rear.

But still it makes assumptions on the bike and clothing etc.

classic33

Leg End Member
Is there proof that if I eat more cake I'll be heavier and go down hills faster? :hungry:
You'b be slower going uphill, whilst eating the cake though.
Do you have a seperate cake for each hill, and is it in proportion to the size of the hill?

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 5239578, member: 9609"]I guess it will be best to pee at the bottom of a hill.[/QUOTE]
Before or after?

Top Bottom