Did the earth just move?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, it didn't get as far south as here. In fact I've never 'been in' an earthquake I could feel, but maybe one day .... in fact 'quakes are surprisingly common in the British Isles, it's just that they're mostly small ones and you have to be in the right place at the right time.

The nearest thing, for me, was entirely ersatz. When I used to work in Portslade, we had an active metal shop in our factory, with big presses and punches etc. going thud thud thud all day long. Despite working on the opposite side of the building I could hear and feel rumbles all the time. One day a much bigger thud occurred, quite out of the blue, and I could definitely feel the solid concrete floor beneath me shudder, almost as if a wave had passed through the ground. I, and several others nearby, thought, this ain't right, something's up over there, and we all rushed across to the metal shop expecting to see the place strewn with bodies. But nothing was amiss, work was going on there as smoothly as always.

It was only the next day that I learnt the truth. A massive WWII mine had been uncovered somewhere in the vicinity of nearby Shoreham Harbour, and the Bomb Disposal guys were called in: it seemed they decided to evacuate the surrounding area (our factory was just outside the area) and then set it off in a controlled explosion. Quite an event, brought lots of spectators crowded round the exclusion zone. And I missed it, all but the bump!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Awesome.....................

fossyant

I'm one to miss them...........

The only one I felt was in the late 80's....felt the office chair wiggle - was so busy looking round to see which 'joker' did it....... (office full of young 'uns.................)........ :whistle:

The stack of 'regular' tremors we had in the 90's one year, my wife was in Hong Kong, and I'm saying "yes, number 14 today" (over two weeks)..... I didn't feel one...........doh................... :whistle:

The earth didn't move :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

fossyant

Arch............

Was going to say, had it not been reported by Twitter etc.... It will be those gits that bought a Kinect at Christmas....... :whistle:....................

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Arch, Mrs FF felt a tremor at about 21:04 here in Abingdon... though I think it's something to do with the return of Harry Cunningham in 'Silent Witness' :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Info now up on the USGS site here

Cool!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Have you added your own report on that site? Somebody else from Hebden Bridge beat me to it. Lots of people from York and Harrogate have already reported their experiences.

Years back, I was woken up by a tremor violent enough to whack the back of my head against a wall - that was a bit scary!

Before that in the 80s, a series of tremors moved objects on shelves in my student flat in Salford.

Somebody I know was once asleep with his girlfriend in their apartment in Los Angeles (or was it San Francisco?) when a serious earthquake occurred. It threw them out of bed and knocked over their furniture. He thought it was rather cool but she was so freaked out by it that she refused to live there any longer and they ended up coming back to the UK!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
I have added my report, yes. Not much to say, but I mentioned the two separate judders.

Quite right about living in San Fran (or LA). Daft place to live ;) Like Naples. Appparently no one who studies Vesuvius chooses to live in Naples....

Paul_L

Über Member
felt nothing here in Shipley, although weirdly about the same time our baby daughter started crying in her cot which we thought a bit odd, so maybe it was felt here even though it passed me by.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I have added my report, yes. Not much to say, but I mentioned the two separate judders.

Quite right about living in San Fran (or LA). Daft place to live ;) Like Naples. Appparently no one who studies Vesuvius chooses to live in Naples....

XmrsIS reported three separate judders last night.
cool.gif

Top Bottom