Did the full commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chutzpah

Über Member
Since I started commuting to work I have been driving to a little village outside town and cycling the last 5.5miles in (see here).

This morning, as the weather was nice and I hadn't managed the commute so far this week due to the weather, I decided to do the whole thing - 10 miles.

I've cycled much much further on several occasions, but the hilly nature of the route and the A roads I'd have to use had put me off. But I thought to hell with it. Told the wife over breakfast (she took a deep breath and told me to ring her when I arrived) and then set off.

Went really well, and did the whole lot in 55 minutes, averaging 10.64 mph - which I'm quite happy with considering my heavy mountain bike and there was 896feet of climbing to do.

One of the twisty hill sections had double white lines but most drivers were sensible with their overtakes.

Normally if I drive to the village and cycle from there it's around 15 minutes to drive + 24 minutes, so today didn't really add much (especially when you knock off the hassle of having to load and unload the bike from the roof). Driving is a lottery due to traffic and can take anywhere between 30 minutes to 50 minutes, so again a bit of a win there.

Now I just need to go back the other way tonight - it will involve a bypass (which I skipped this morning as the route through the village is better to pull out of at the other end, but going this way will actually be the safer route due to the road layout) and a slightly steeper gradient.....

One affect it has had though (other than colleagues telling me I'm mad) is that I'm starving today.... :tongue:

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
Well the advantage is you can have 2 cream cakes lunch time lol

Well done! :wahhey:

Let us know how you get on on the way back.

Before you know it you will be looking to extend the route! :smile:

Lovely day for commuting, even I enjoyed it for a change,Howieshill Road,Cambuslang did not seem so steep today either
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
C

Chutzpah

Über Member
Thanks everyone
smile.gif

Tonight took me an hour, 10.5 miles as slightly longer due to the bypass. The bypass starts at the top of a really steep climb, and it would be mental to try and pull across the two lanes to go right at the roundabout at the top (traffic flies up there) so easier to keep left, follow the lane around and then tuck to the side of the bypass (there's a really wide area just off the road that cyclists always sit in).

According to runkeeper, 1076 of ascent on the way back. Couldn't believe it when I got back and saw how quick I had been - thought it would be longer.

Last bit was lovely as well, there's an off road cycle path. Just me, my cycle lights and the stars. Really nice peaceful end to the commute.

In the end for lunch I was really good - went and got some fruit and nuts. Cake on Friday probably.

Edit: forgot to include that one of the reasons I thought it had taken longer was because I got held up by traffic - roadworks with absolutely no room to filter. Probably added a couple of minutes.

Top Bottom