Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.8%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 488 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 207 17.6%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gpx001

Über Member
I started off with an old MTB, then went to a more expensive hybrid beofre getting a drop bar roadie. I now use the hybrid for most of my journeys as I found the drop bar road bike inpractical. In fact I eventually sold it in favour of a drop bar tourer!

shippers

Got a hybrid a couple of years ago for commuting to work- Apollo Cafe 2 from Halfords. Got a Giant Defy 4 drop-bar bike in August and it flies!
Only points- punctures and sore 'nads. You really feel the bumps in the road- but as getting everywhere takes less time it's well worth it!

i too am late into the cycling world at 46yrs, right now i own a trek 7.5fx with some mods. flat bars,new stem and skinny tyres ect:. it has seen me through my first 115km sportive.origanaly bought for exercise (2 back ops) but i think its now time for my first dropped bar. any one got any word on the 2010 basso reef?

madguern

Hi all, i did the convert a mountain bike with slicks, spent some money and decided on a trek 7.5 then 8 months later bought the allez sport. My first ever bike was a drop raleigh olympus when I was 10, 39 and back on a roadie.

My journey was wild and sad, had to discover mortality to get here. Being told I could die five years ago when diagnosed with cancer. Now I have been discharged and all clear .... well tour de france next :-)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
madguern said:
My journey was wild and sad, had to discover mortality to get here. Being told I could die five years ago when diagnosed with cancer. Now I have been discharged and all clear .... well tour de france next :-)

Livestrong! congratulations.

I've actually sold my flat bar'd hybrid after buying a drop bar road bike. I love it, I'm not the fastest cyclist but I'm faster on the road bike than I ever was on the hybrid. And yes, it is all about speed.

Hi to you all.Flat Bar v Dropped Bar.Very Subjective and Personal.I am now knocking quite hard on the door of 65 and 3yrs ago I took up the bike again after an on & off relationship (with a flat bar Hybrid) for many years.November 2007 saw a total left knee replacement,then in April 2009 a new Claud Butler Levante(Flat Bar Hybrid on 700x23's),light and responsive on the road(I cut the bars down to 480mm(19").I also have an immaculate 2000/2001 Bianchi Gold Race 600 Reparto Corse(May 2009 ,a steal off E'bay.With flat bars and hills; dancing on the pedals is not easy(it is a sit & grind job).The dropped bars & on the hoods allows better weight distribution and therefore dancing on the pedals is a more natural feel than with flat bars.I don't use the full dropped position any more(neck and back ache at my age take longer to mend).The Flat Bar is a more leisurely ride for general use but the Dropped Bar is a compromise if ridden on the tops.I love both bikes but if it came down to only one on my Pension Budget the Bianchi would be my must keep choice.Safe & Happy Riding toYou All.

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
I own a 2009 Specialized Sirrus Elite which has flat bars. I like the skinny tyres and the gearing. Having badly broken my elbow my left arm is a bit more bent then the right. This has lead to dumbness in my right arm because it's taking all the weight. I changed the angle of the stem from 30° to 55° to raise them. I fear than if I were to go for a pair of dropped bars then I would be in pain. Does anyone else have this problem?

beatlejuice said:
I own a 2009 Specialized Sirrus Elite which has flat bars. I like the skinny tyres and the gearing. Having badly broken my elbow my left arm is a bit more bent then the right. This has lead to dumbness in my right arm because it's taking all the weight. I changed the angle of the stem from 30° to 55° to raise them. I fear than if I were to go for a pair of dropped bars then I would be in pain. Does anyone else have this problem?
Only thin I can suggest is try before you buy, you might find the additional grip placement areas on a dropped bar bike a godsend, then again you might find the position a nightmare :sad:, good luck

beatlejuice said:
Thanks for you reply. I am looking at fitting a Releigh Trekking Comfort Handlebars. But I don't know were I can fit a mirror.

I'm sure there'll be other option, I googled and got this:

hbars.jpg

http://cybrmarc.tripod.com/bike/hbars.jpg

perplexed

Guru
I ride a hybrid at the moment, which I'll continue with because it's hugely practical, being robust but not too heavy.

I would like a road bike at some point in the next year or two (funds permitting) to go for longer "fun" runs, if you like...

Downward

Guru
Does anyone know whether if I sold my hybrid £200 ish maybe would I be able to buy a decent road bike with mudguards etc which I could use in the bad weather instead of the hybrid ?

Top Bottom