Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.8%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 488 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 207 17.6%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i bought a mountain bike from our local bike shop. To say the least, I was very unimpressed with the service I got from them! I always try to use local shops to support them but will never buy a bike from them again! Moonglu........you should be ashamed of yourselves!!
Anyway, I digress..... I only had the bike a couple of months when I decided I wanted a road bike. I have saved hard and finally got my first road bike last week!! I bought it from Wiggle which is internet based, yes, maybe a mistake in some peoples opinions but it's done now. I need a few tweaks (shorter stem and fitting it myself) but I can deal with that. It's also not the most fantastic of bikes but it's what I could afford and so far, I am well chuffed with it!!

Red17

Veteran
I've been working on the n+1 principle

Started on a hybrid before switching to a road bike for my commute. Then switched back to a hybrid for commuting , and a mountain bike for playing at the weekend.

Road bike doesn't get much use these days - went out on it for a short ride last weekend and hated the way it was slithering about - am much happier on the mountain bike and hybrid at the moment.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I've been working on the n+1 principle

Started on a hybrid before switching to a road bike for my commute. Then switched back to a hybrid for commuting , and a mountain bike for playing at the weekend.

Road bike doesn't get much use these days - went out on it for a short ride last weekend and hated the way it was slithering about - am much happier on the mountain bike and hybrid at the moment.

+.1 I maybe wouldn't go as far as hate the way a roadie feels but I'm happier with a more armchair ride right now. horses for courses I guess, no clipless pedals on anything I ride regularly either at the mo.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I started off with a hybrid which I used for commuting and general leisure riding.
I have since bought 2 road bikes.

Last edited:

sannesley

Started out with a hybrid this summer past as I was cautious about "embracing the lycra" which seems to go with road cycling. I've now gotten over that and a Giant Defy 3 2015 is on order from my LBS. ^_^

Scotty1991

Making the change from hybrid to a roadie was the best thing i have done with cycling, i feel it is so much more comfortable. The road bikes all have a nice look about them (Not saying hybrids look bad as they are also nice!) . Need for speed!

dee.jay

Network Ninja
I decided this week that I want to try the n+1 and buy myself a very decent bike next year. I only really ride on cycle paths and roads so I think I can get away with a road bike for the pleasure rides - and keep the hybrid purely for commuting as I take clothes etc. I'll save up and buy myself a very nice one as a treat next year :smile:

OR

I would really like a Cotic Escapade. You can do pretty much anything you want with those....

Last edited:

annirak

Veteran
I started with a hybrid, moved to another country, bought another hybrid, got into endurance cycling and decided I wanted something more suited to it. I was drawn to road bikes because of the lower aerodynamic resistance and the additional hand positions.

I bought a cheap roadbike to try out dropbars and see if I really liked them. I decided that roadbikes work really well for me, but then I trashed my bike in a bike-vs-car accident, so I'm back to the hybrid until I can settle on (and afford) a new road bike.

MattDB

Über Member
I went in to a shop for a road bike but was talked out of it and came out with a Hybrid - loved it but sold and went with a road bike recently as nearly exclusively using on tarmac. Looking back I'm not totally sure of the advantages but here's some thoughts.

What I like:
Feel faster and like I can pick up speed more rapidly
Feel like I'm more 'serious' and can get away with wearing lycra
I think when I stand up I'm in a better position for hill climbs
A previous wrist injury used to flare up with straight bars, dropped bars have completely sorted this.
Thinner wheels for less rolling resistance
STI shifters

What I'm not so sure about:
I recently found a short cut on a cycle path - hard surface with some gravel - saves time but my bike doesn't like
Together with sitting in an office all day, I don't think it's done a lot for my back.
Less space for things like pannier racks and mudguards (I know this is possible and I've got Krud MK2's on my wheels but there's not as much choice)
Feel like being lower down I'm less visible to other road users.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

BigAl68

Über Member
Stated with a hybrid with hub gears about 7 years ago. I then started commuting daily to Bristol about 4 years ago when I moved from Bristol to Bath. I got my first road bike a trek 1.5 soon after and since have increased this to include a planet x rt58 last year and I am now building a steel 80s British Road bike for high days and holidays. I don't think I would go back to flat bars now but the hybrid is still sat there needed a good overhaul so never say never.

shadow master

Only at identical pressures,thinner tyres take higher pressure so thats when they have the aero and rolling advantage,however high pressures fatigue riders through road vibrations.....All of this is totally irrelevant to most people.because you as the rider are the air problem about 90% of it in fact....road bike wins again head down ass up kids!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom