Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.9%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 487 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 206 17.5%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harry1

Regular
I had a professional bike fit and the few small tweaks made a big difference. I also got a new wider bike seat that makes a big difference to my comfort. Most bike shops have memory foam cushions so that the sales assistant can suggest the best seat width for your body and level of flexibility.

Drago

Legendary Member
I had a professional bike fit and the few small tweaks made a big difference for the worse. I reverted to my own settings, hard won with years of experience and first hand analysis. I also review and reassess regularly, due to ageing and weight changes.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I used a professional bike fit as a starting point and have adapted it a tweak at a time. I have the original numbers recorded somewhere, it would be interesting to see how far I've deviated :popcorn:

flan48

You see to me, they look almost 'wrong' on a bike. Lovely lines etc etc then those stupid antlers at the front, bloody horrendous!
Also, most people don't care about all the other things you mentioned.
Take a look outside any train station, university halls etc...90% of bikes are one form of hybrid or another.
As hard as it is for roadies to admit it, they are the 'niche' section of cyclists.
And regarding hand positions? I have Ergon grips and am all set there, thanks. And I can reach the brakes in a microsecond.
I have both a hybrid (Trek 7.4FX) and a roadie (Specialized Roubaix), and do agree that, for me and my smallish hands, braking response time is somewhat quicker with the hybrid.

Best regards

Gunk

Guru
When I got back into cycling a few years ago after a long 30 year break I bought a flat bar hybrid and after a cycling holiday in France it soon exposed its weaknesses.

As soon as I got home I sold it and bought a decent lightweight racing bike, the difference is night and day, I prefer the ergonomics, the directness and the versatility of dropped bars. Plus you forget how quick they are.

Chris1867

My first push bike as a kid was a small 5 speed race drop bar bike. Next one after that was a Saracen mountain bike. I've had a succession of MK's since then, most of which I've built up myself from new as the cost is under half the price you would pay on a shop floor. For titivating (fnar fnar!) and fine tuning I took them to my local bike shop(s). I Purchased a second hand hybrid (road bike with MB gearing/shifters - nine speed). I bought myself a 22 speed drop bar race bike brand new in the sale last year. I have also just bought myself a second hand 24 speed drop bar race bike. I use different bikes for different disciplines. My current MK and my posh race bike and the newly acquired second hand one which I intend to use as a winter/work hack.

Chris1867

My first push bike as a kid was a small 5 speed race drop bar bike. Next one after that was a Saracen mountain bike. I've had a succession of MK's since then, most of which I've built up myself from new as the cost is under half the price you would pay on a shop floor. For titivating (fnar fnar!) and fine tuning I took them to my local bike shop(s). I Purchased a second hand hybrid (road bike with MB gearing/shifters - nine speed). I bought myself a 22 speed drop bar race bike brand new in the sale last year. I have also just bought myself a second hand 24 speed drop bar race bike. I use different bikes for different disciplines. My current MK and my posh race bike and the newly acquired second hand one which I intend to use as a winter/work hack.
I found the change in bars a little difficult at first. But you quickly adapt your riding position. I found the wider bars gave better control over rough ground. The drops are more aerodynamic but I ride mostly on the hoods.

david k

Hi
And back again :smile:

I started with a hybrid which I regret selling two years ago

Bought by rid 10 years ago
Road bike 7\8 years ago
CX give years ago
Mountain bike 18 months ago

Still own the road,CD asnd mountain

Use my mountain bike mostly. Due to comfort
Use my CD in summer longer rides
Not use road bike in 18 months or much for 5 years

Want another subway 2
Want an electric trick bike but going to hold off for a while

david k

Hi
I found the change in bars a little difficult at first. But you quickly adapt your riding position. I found the wider bars gave better control over rough ground. The drops are more aerodynamic but I ride mostly on the hoods.
I'm pretty much always on the goods

Thinking of converting my CD to flats with longbar ends

Now fully reverted to drops after much modding and messing about.

I don't like taping bars...

Not having read the previous pages here is my two cents worth.
To me a "hybrid" is a heavy flat bar bike with a rudimentary front suspensIon sold by bike shops to unsuspecting first bike buyers.
The current development is now referred to as a flat bar road bike which lacks the suspension fork in favour of a carbon fibre one.
When we purchased our Thorn touring tandem Thorn strongly reccomended flat bars and seeing all the Thorns on the various forums had this configuration we took the flatbar. My Surly LHT was dropbar but Thorn set us up with a position similar to riding on the hoods of drops and it works well for us for touring.
I liked the Rohloff hub so much that a few years later I bought a Thorn Mercury with Rohloff and took the flat bar option.
I was born in 1942 which may be influencing my current preferences do to some lack of flexibility.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Not having read the previous pages here is my two cents worth.
To me a "hybrid" is a heavy flat bar bike with a rudimentary front suspensIon sold by bike shops to unsuspecting first bike buyers.
The current development is now referred to as a flat bar road bike which lacks the suspension fork in favour of a carbon fibre one.
Not quite.
You tend to find the hybrids from around £800 upwards are sleeker and more like a road bike but with flat bars and the carbon forks as you mention.
The Halfords Carrera BSOs you mention with pointless front suspension are hybrids but I would class a 'normal' hybrid as something like my current bike:-

It has no front suspension but the front fork is alloy as it is a little cheaper than when the carbon front fork becomes de regeur.
(This cost £700)
Or something a bit more bog standard like this:-
1587577840220.png

Top Bottom