Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.9%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 487 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 206 17.5%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
Disagree.
If you are trying to beat your Strava sectional maybe but if you just want to enjoy the scenery and sit back, flat bar all the way.
Most roadies I see have their hands on the top bit most of the time, may as well get a hybrid.
When I ride a road bike, my default position for cruising is upright with the drops reserved for uphills, sprints and to combat wind resistance.

When I am on a hybrid, I sometimes wish I had a drop bars (mainly in a headwind).

You can get low on a hybrid, but it's not comfortable and it doesn't really work.

The only real answer is to have two or three bikes. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Punkawallah

Über Member
Thought I was ‘past’ drop bars, but a Galaxy changed my mind :-) Had bar ends added to the last straight set I used, not enough hand positions for longer rides.

teeonethousand

I got a drop bar road bike and then a couple of months later a flat bar hybrid. I prefer the hybrid for the riding I do and the state of the roads round here. ( It doesn't help that the road bike is XXL and too big for me.)

Mralexrides

I had only ridden mountain bikes and hybrids as a kid but when I got older I found a great deal on a trek drop bar bike and jumped on it. Never looked back. they look bad ass and still get compliments on it 7 years later..

When you go on long rides, the drop bar bike has 3 to 4 hand placements - hood, drops, side hold and handle bar front to work with. Not only do the hands appreciate the changes, the body as well as it changes the posture. When on a hybrid on a long ride I began to appreciate the drops bar for it. Hybrid excellent for short rides, errands etc. Horses for causes.

It's not surprise that most people tend to go in one direction when it comes to bikes.

Keep an MTB for trails. Upright posture and handling for me calls for straight bars.

Lovacott

Über Member
I got a drop bar road bike and then a couple of months later a flat bar hybrid. I prefer the hybrid for the riding I do and the state of the roads round here. ( It doesn't help that the road bike is XXL and too big for me.)
I'm using three bikes at the moment with the most frequent use being the hybrid for my commute. In the winter when the roads get slippy, I will revert to the MTB.

The road bike is reserved for flying along good roads on sunny weekends.

All have their plusses and minuses but if I choose the right bike for the conditions, the bike I am riding will be the best of the three.

carpiste

Guru
Years ago I bought and used a Peugot road bike after years of making and riding bikes from old broken machines. I loved that bike and the drops were perfect for me.
Then I changed job and had to use the car for work and of course family life meant I didn`t get out on the bike as much as I would have, so the old Peugot ended up corroding away and ended up going to a friend as a freebie.
A few years later I went for a second hand roadie then a mtb. Neither really suited me as the roadie just never felt right and the mtb was just hard, hard work.
A few years went by and I once again took the plunge and went to buy a new bike. By then the tinterweb was up and running and I had info like never before. I bought a Scott hydrib and immediately fell back in love with cycling. This was followed by a relatively cheap but wonderful road bike. Both bikes were regularly used for different rides and I couldn`t fault or choose one over the other as a favourite.
Now of course I have grown several years older, gained weight, got dodgy knees and after surgeries over the past few years I struggled on both bikes. The road bike due to the position. Leaning forward caused discomfort on the stomach, the hybrid causing stress on the knees going uphill!
So, almost 2 years later I had to get back in the saddle but knew I needed assistance due to loss of muscle in the legs and stomach.
So I went out and bought an E-bike with a hub motor. It`s a Raleigh Motus hybrid and My Dog is it a joy!
I can go up hills again! I`m losing weight and after only 6 weeks I can already feel my legs getting stronger!
I`m now looking forward to the chance of getting back out on the other two bikes when I`m over in France ( which is where they now both live) but in the meantime I`m loving the assisted ride.
I gues in reality I`ve gone from a road bike with drops to a flat bar hybrid.... but I still look forward to using them all.

I went from a Specialized Sport hybrid to a drop bar merida road bike because I wanted to join my local cycle club (NTRCC). I soon moved up to a carbon Giant Defy. I now mainly ride a Nukeproof Digger Gravel bike (still drop bars for those who don't know) I would never go back to flat bars. I did try to ride my hybrid after riding the Merida for a few months and it felt strange and uncomfortable.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Years ago I bought and used a Peugot road bike after years of making and riding bikes from old broken machines. I loved that bike and the drops were perfect for me.
Then I changed job and had to use the car for work and of course family life meant I didn`t get out on the bike as much as I would have, so the old Peugot ended up corroding away and ended up going to a friend as a freebie.
A few years later I went for a second hand roadie then a mtb. Neither really suited me as the roadie just never felt right and the mtb was just hard, hard work.
A few years went by and I once again took the plunge and went to buy a new bike. By then the tinterweb was up and running and I had info like never before. I bought a Scott hydrib and immediately fell back in love with cycling. This was followed by a relatively cheap but wonderful road bike. Both bikes were regularly used for different rides and I couldn`t fault or choose one over the other as a favourite.
Now of course I have grown several years older, gained weight, got dodgy knees and after surgeries over the past few years I struggled on both bikes. The road bike due to the position. Leaning forward caused discomfort on the stomach, the hybrid causing stress on the knees going uphill!
So, almost 2 years later I had to get back in the saddle but knew I needed assistance due to loss of muscle in the legs and stomach.
So I went out and bought an E-bike with a hub motor. It`s a Raleigh Motus hybrid and My Dog is it a joy!
I can go up hills again! I`m losing weight and after only 6 weeks I can already feel my legs getting stronger!
I`m now looking forward to the chance of getting back out on the other two bikes when I`m over in France ( which is where they now both live) but in the meantime I`m loving the assisted ride.
I gues in reality I`ve gone from a road bike with drops to a flat bar hybrid.... but I still look forward to using them all.
Next step - an e-road bike perhaps?

carpiste

Guru

Attachments

• tumblr_mebw6hIW091qakh43o1_500.gif
    tumblr_mebw6hIW091qakh43o1_500.gif
    998.3 KB · Views: 24

IcySwan1

Bought a hybrid this spring to ride with my wife on her cruiser. It is comfortable and I like it. My buddy talked me into buying a Trek Domane. I didn't like the Domane at first, mainly because it hurt my butt. After a bike fitting the road bike is more comfortable and I enjoy it. Now I ride each bike about equally, but the road bike is for when I ride alone and tend to push heart rate and performance limits. As much as I like the road bike, I think I would pick the hybrid if forced to have but one bike.

Mike

Lovacott

Über Member
Bought a hybrid this spring to ride with my wife on her cruiser. It is comfortable and I like it. My buddy talked me into buying a Trek Domane. I didn't like the Domane at first, mainly because it hurt my butt. After a bike fitting the road bike is more comfortable and I enjoy it. Now I ride each bike about equally, but the road bike is for when I ride alone and tend to push heart rate and performance limits. As much as I like the road bike, I think I would pick the hybrid if forced to have but one bike.

Mike
My road bike goes like a rocket and is the best machine I've ever owned. But it's not exactly fun to ride.

I can hare along at breakneck speed, but I don't really get to take anything in as I'm spending most of my time looking at the road directly in front of my very thin tyres.

The hybrid doesn't go as quick, but I don't sh it myself every time I see a small pothole and my head is up so I can see the countryside I am riding through.

I did 20 miles this morning around the local coast roads and took the hybrid out of choice because it's the weekend and I wasn't on a mission.

I'm not so sure if I'd buy a road bike ever again.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
My road bike goes like a rocket and is the best machine I've ever owned. But it's not exactly fun to ride.

I can hare along at breakneck speed, but I don't really get to take anything in as I'm spending most of my time looking at the road directly in front of my very thin tyres.

The hybrid doesn't go as quick, but I don't sh it myself every time I see a small pothole and my head is up so I can see the countryside I am riding through.

I did 20 miles this morning around the local coast roads and took the hybrid out of choice because it's the weekend and I wasn't on a mission.

I'm not so sure if I'd buy a road bike ever again.
Try riding on the hoods.

Top Bottom