did you ever give your job a glamourous title

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Prompted by the recent job threads , did you ever give your job a more glamourous title,
I am a butcher by trade but when asked what I did for a living , I would say ....BOVINE SURGEON :biggrin:
My mate , said he was a VISION TECHNICIAN, hes a window cleaner.

cmon lets hear some others

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Not so much a fancy title but my step mum obviously thought my job of prison officer didn't sound good enough so she would insist on telling everyone I was a police officer. I gave up correcting her in the end. Lol

Drago

Legendary Member
Nah, I've always said it how it is. Gardener, factory monkey, bouncer, soldier, bodyguard, copper. People and organisations that glam up the names of mundane jobs should be sacked for having too much time on their hands.

Going the other way, I know the head of an IT for a firm of stockbrokers whose business card reads "Chief Pointy Head".

And when my mum's law firm took over the property next door, whose most recent tenant was a "massage parlour", I used to tell people "my mother solicits in a brothel'

Edit: should have refreshed before posting, as both @User14044 and I are "going the other way"

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
When I finished my HND Software Engineering, I felt it was rather pretentious calling ourselves software engineers rather than computer programmers. However, I have a friend who calls himself a computer scientist.

This was a big thing in the seventies. "Sanitation Engineer" and "Garbologist" spring to mind.

Also popular with young men at parties. Two I recall
Me: "What do you do?"
Him: "I write"
Me: "Oh. What do you write?"
Him: "Software"
Me: "...."

and

Me: "What do you do?"
Him: "I'm a cartoonist"
Me: "Where are you published?"
Him: "Oh, I am not" <before the internet>
Yeah, he was 35 year old junior civil servant.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Not quite the same, but when I worked for BAe on Tornadoes and Jaguars, there was a story that one of the test pilots used to sometimes put his job description down as 'testing demolition equipment'.

Brandane

Legendary Member
When I was a Police Officer, we used to go on Christmas Party nights out at local venues where the DJ would introduce the various groups present, and we would tell him that we were pest controllers from a fictitious company. It wasn't exactly a mistruth, and we didn't want our true identity known for obvious reasons.

D

Deleted member 23692

My mate , said he was a VISION TECHNICIAN, hes a window cleaner.
I've heard the same job refered to as a 'transparent wall maintenance engineer' before.

I tend to tell folk I'm a data analyst as my real job title is far too cool for them to handle.. plus I don't want a work conversation when I'm not getting paid :smile:

The Armed Services have a colorful set of descriptions

In the Navy, any Medical Branch rating was affectionately known as a "Scab lifter"

Top Bottom