Did you ever have your bike stolen if so what happened?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rowano

Had my much loved and will used d24 storm from Cardiff uni when I worked there in 2012. Locked to a Sheffield stand with a cable lock and cheap D lock. Not many bikes about add it was winter time, cold and wet but I commuted from Bristol cycling between train stations.

I got a crime reference number from Cardiff police, reported to admiral insurance the following day, cleared up the miscommunication that I had a bike stolen, not a bag and they paid out within the week.

My best (worst?) was my first ever full suss MTB. A Cannondale EST 2000. That week, I had just fitted Rock Shox forks to replace the Girvin flex stem on the front. Rode into work. Locked up with a cable lock. An hour later, security inform me some bikes had been stolen and one of them was mine.

Now my place of work is a well known security printing firm in Essex. Secure car park. Lots of cameras and a large contingent of security guards. The bike shed i locked up in, was next to the security gate with several cameras trained on it.

A bunch of local pikeys had driven into the car park in a van. Cut the locks off of several bikes and chucked them in the van. Were approached by a security guard, who didn't tangle with them, when they threatened him. They made it through the security gate before it was closed. And when the police visited, the CCTV was not clear enough to get a registration.

Bike wasn't recovered. Police visited the pikey camp, but found none of the stolen bikes. I bought a Marin East Peak with the insurance money, but wasn't as nice as the Cannondale. Made sure i had a heavy duty Motorcycle lock to lock it up after.

Oh, and security at my place of work was beefed up after. It was quite an embarrassment that someone could waltz in and out of the premises so easily.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Angle grinders are meant to be the only tools that are able to break gold standard locks. How common is theft with angle grinders when a gold standard lock is used? From what I have heard is that theft seems to be common if a cable lock is used.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I doubt they're commonly used except by professional thieves of the type you get in London, Oxford and Cambridge. The average junkie won't use one but will rely on cheaper and less sparky methods (preferably targeting completely unlocked bikes).

classic33

Leg End Member
Just avoid areas with building work going on nearby. People will be used to seeing power tools being carried, so probably won't think twice about someone carrying one.

Sharky

Guru
Hi, you've asked a lot of questions on here but given very little feedback on why you are asking or what your conclusions are with the answers. A little more dialogue about your reasons will stimulate the threads more and I'm sure you will get more constructive replies.

A little more about yourself? What sort of cycling are you planning? are you a vegan? do you like guinea pigs?

Happy cycling

Johnno260

Veteran
fact is, if they want the bike they will take it, it's no different to a car thief, if they decide your car is the one they want it's gone, locks and alarms deter the low level thief the organised ones it slows them down a little but it won't stop a determined organised group.

Same with locknuts on alloy wheels, they slow people down, they don't stop them.

My friend had his expensive motorbike stolen, he had an anchor point in his parking spot wall, alarm and CCTV but the bike still was stolen, the police weren't even interested in the CCTV which showed the direction they took and pretty much gave mugshots of the scum who took it.

screenman

Legendary Member
They are very common. Not a single one went to prep school or uses received pronunciation. They make cockerney chimney sweeps seem posh.

Dowhatmate.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Angle grinders are meant to be the only tools that are able to break gold standard locks. How common is theft with angle grinders when a gold standard lock is used? From what I have heard is that theft seems to be common if a cable lock is used.
Tell us more. What bike do you ride? Where do you park it? Are you laying out big cash for an aero race job or commuting on your mum's shopper? What's your story, goldilocks?

roley poley

Über Member
cordless angle grinders are £25 from Aldi ... £25.27 to hire for a day at HSS and free if stolen in the first place so the answer is an obvious unfortunate yes .you can find these facts out with a simple 5 min Google why ask us??

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Wear 'Hi-Viz and carry a clipboard, no one will even notice you., they think you're acting on someones authority. :cursing:
A friend of mine has an ex works van for his personal transport. It has orange lights on top and he has a dayglo waistcoat and a hard hat. He claims that he never has problems with parking as he drops his wife off for hospital appointments and has to wait for her return. Must suggest the clipboard to him.

Top Bottom