Did you ever have your bike stolen if so what happened?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Another disguise used by thieves is to dress as a cyclist - helmet, hi-viz, messenger bag or backpack. If challenged as to why they are cutting a lock, they say they lost the key and are just releasing their own bike. As bikes aren't registered, there is no way to disprove this. Bit advanced for the average smackhead but ideal if you're stealing bikes to order.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Another disguise used by thieves is to dress as a cyclist - helmet, hi-viz, messenger bag or backpack. If challenged as to why they are cutting a lock, they say they lost the key and are just releasing their own bike. As bikes aren't registered, there is no way to disprove this. Bit advanced for the average smackhead but ideal if you're stealing bikes to order.
Yep :cursing:

police weren't even interested in the CCTV which showed the direction they took and pretty much gave mugshots of the scum who took it.
Have heard similar things about police and cctv. Seems odd. Anyone know why this is if true - you'd think it would be handy to say the least to the police.

vickster

Legendary Member
Angle grinders are meant to be the only tools that are able to break gold standard locks. How common is theft with angle grinders when a gold standard lock is used? From what I have heard is that theft seems to be common if a cable lock is used.
A bottle jack can too, hence leaving as little space as possible to insert anything. A large sledgehammer could probably smash one too. Angle grinders are quicker though (if noisy)

Leave your bike with its 2 gold D Locks in a visible high traffic area during the day, I'd say it is extremely unlikely to get stolen (the saddle or other components may do though if not secured).

Leave it somewhere quiet and at night, it's at much higher risk and that includes alleged secure bike cages at flats etc. Keep it indoors or in a well secured shed/garage. AND INSURE IT :okay:

roley poley

Über Member
There used to be a video compilation on YT of all sorts of top end bike locks being breached in seconds using a big set of bolt croppers... can't seem to find it though. Maybe it's been removed as it also revealed the perfect technique, making it a wonderful how-to guide for thieves.
yes some times I feel we can brief the thieves to the best tactics by trying to inform concerned bike owners

CH99

Regular
Have heard similar things about police and cctv. Seems odd. Anyone know why this is if true - you'd think it would be handy to say the least to the police.

Impossible to say without the incidents context. Police would never turn down CCTV if it assisted their enquiries and they had an audited trail of collecting and booking it. If it was some ropey image with no time/date and didn’t offer any additional evidence then it would make no sense to spend the resources booking, reviewing & taking through the court process.

Plus if it was on a mobile the phones owner would be without the steamy pics of their missus for a while

D

Deleted member 26715

Couple of junkies around here got one of the cordless ones, they were cutting a hole near the centre of garage doors, putting their hand through & opening the door. They were quite blatant about it & clearly identifiable on CCTV when they tried my daughter & SIL's garage, that was until they inadvertently robbed the sister of one of the biggest drug dealer in the area. They weren't able to hold an angry grinder for a few weeks & had to be fed through a straw, strange set of injuries for falling down some stairs.

D

Deleted member 26715

Is this actually true, or just Fecesbook fake news?

lane

Veteran
I would assume the least common of theft equipment for stealing bikes overall. Presumably due to noise. They will get through any gold rated lock but you are more likely to get your bike stolen with a cable lock and less so with a gold standard bike lock. So to my mind if they were very common that would not be the case. Obviously some places they will be more common than others.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Hi, you've asked a lot of questions on here but given very little feedback on why you are asking or what your conclusions are with the answers. A little more dialogue about your reasons will stimulate the threads more and I'm sure you will get more constructive replies.

A little more about yourself? What sort of cycling are you planning? are you a vegan? do you like guinea pigs?

Happy cycling
I have recently bought a road bike currently it is on my balcony but when i go to uni it will be Kept in a bike shed and a might sometimes be locked in the city briefly. I am really worried about bike theft so I want to educate myself on this matter.
I am a vegan and I like animals however I am not sure that it is relevant.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Tell us more. What bike do you ride? Where do you park it? Are you laying out big cash for an aero race job or commuting on your mum's shopper? What's your story, goldilocks?
I have a new road bike currently I keep it on my balcony but I will take it to uni in September and it will be Kept in a bike shed and perhaps round the city briefly.

Top Bottom